Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO:SS/USS Shika Maru

Author Topic: SWDAO:SS/USS Shika Maru
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one seems easy enough, but the lack of info makes it tricky.
Data calls this the Federation ship Shika Maru under the command of Captain Silvestri.
Federation ship usually deals with non-Starfleet, but no where is this set in stone.
Namewise we have little to go one other than that the Kobayashi Maru(both Japanese origin IIRC) was also a non-starfleet vessel.
The Encyclopedia seems to go neutral on us and doesn't really say anything although it implies that it is not Starfleet(again calling it just a Federation vessel)
My guess is that it is not Starfleet but probably a science or explorer vessel along the lines of the Vico, but there is really not enough info to make anything more than personal guesses.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Federation starship Enterprise..." As many times as we've heard that, I think we can safely say that calling it a "Federation ship" has no bearing on whether or not it is Starfleet.

And I thought it was Shiku Maru. Or was that the misspelling and the 'a' is the right one?

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanguard: Could you add what TSN mentioned? Thanks. Also, you might want to say which episode the ship was from...it's in the Encyclopedia.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shadow-

Federation Starship Shika Maru:
Mentioned in Darmok(TNG fifth season) This Twenty third century Federation starship came in contact with the Tamarians for the seventh time(the Enterprise was the eigth) but was unable to make contact. It is unknown if the ship is starfleet or not. The encyclopedia refers to the ship as the Federation starship Shika Maru under the command of captain Sylvester, this tells us very little however as Picard, and Janeway both refer to their ships as the Federation starship Enterprise or Voyager respectfully. While the name is similar to the non starfleet vessel Kobayashi Maru, no where is it said that the name Maru(Japanese in origin) have any bearing upon whether it is Starfleet. Many fans who keep lists especially Star Trek:Expanded say this is the USS Enterprise. At this moment the true designation of the vessel has yet to be determined. Only other point is that the ship may be Shiku Maru, although the Encyclopedia and Star Trek:Expanded do not agree with this spelling.

------------------

[This message was edited by USS Vanguard on June 14, 1999.]

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the encyclopedia, the Shiku Maru is a twenty-third century ship.
IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

Thanks.

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shiku(a) Maru didn't yield a single non-Star Trek hit at Alta Vista. If it's a name at all, it seems to be a very uncommon name, unless the Japanese don't want to write it in our letters or spell it completely differently.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the second world war, Japanese freighters commonly had "Maru" as part of their name.
IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps