Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » suggested starship names from "Making of ST"

Author Topic: suggested starship names from "Making of ST"
Kenny
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Kenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've misplaced my copy of "The Making of Star Trek" by Stephen Whitfield, and I need to know the two sets of starship names that DC Fontana and Bob Justman suggested.

I can't remember which ones Fontana suggested first, and then the second set of names that Justman preferred (and added to, if I remember correctly).

And then there was the list of 14 names that Whitfield said had been finalized.

Would someone be so kind as to transcribe the list on Fontana's memo, then the list on Justman's memo? There will be some overlap between the two lists.

I have the "final" list of 14, so I don't need a transcription of that one.

Does anyone know of other lists of "early" (or "proposed") starship names from TOS?

Thanks,

-- Kenny

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The list on Fontana's memo came in two parts. The upper part listed the following:

Enterprise
Exeter
Essex
Excalibur
Lexington
Yorktown
Endeavor
El Dorado
Excelsior
Saratoga
Constellation

The second part listed the following as alternates:

Hornet
Wasp
Farragut
Hood
Bonhomme Richard
Monitor or Merrimac, depending on your loyalties
Tori
Lafayette
Ari
Krieger

Justman's memo listed the following as preferences:

Enterprise
Essex
Excalibur
Lexington
Yorktown
Endeavor
Eagle
Constellation
Hornet
Wasp
Lafayette

Hope that helps.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Kenny
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Kenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks WK for transcribing those lists.

Anybody know of any other "proposed" names that never made the cut?

I can think of Argentina (became the Exeter)and Scimitar (became the Defiant).

Remember that we're talking about TOS only.

-- Kenny

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The S.S. Beagle from "Bread and Circuses" was originally the U.S.S. Lord Nelson.

An early draft of "Patterns of Force" had the source of cultural contamination arriving aboard a small "Ambassador-class" vessel.

The Phase II pilot script "In Thy Image," which eventually became TMP contained references to the U.S.S. Aswan, U.S.S. Boston, U.S.S. Delphi, and U.S.S. Paris.

Another Phase II treatment made reference to the St. Louis.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tori" and "Ari"? All that leaves me thinking of are Amos and Fleischer.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tori is Japanese for "bird" and Ari is Hebrew for "lion." Krieger means "Warrior" in (I think) German.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Tori is Japanese for "bird" and Ari is Hebrew for "lion." Krieger means "Warrior" in (I think) German.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

is this list supposed to be cannon SFC ships? all connies? only some of these appear on lists like Ex Astris or DITL...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not canon by any means.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd include it purely on the basis that Bob Justman appears to be a very funny man.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

It appears that I neglected to mention that the "Ambassador-class" vessel from "Patterns of Force" (TOS) was called the Magellan.

Incidentally, this tidbit comes by way of TrekBBS poster Sir Rhosis, a collector of TOS script drafts.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps