Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Defiant registry number NCC 1764

Author Topic: U.S.S. Defiant registry number NCC 1764
Kenny
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Kenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numerous sources I've read say that the registry number for the starship Defiant (NCC 1764) was taken from an internal memo by D.C. Fontana or somebody during the third season of TOS.

Has anyone actually seen the memo? Or is this just another one of those "this is the source" rumors that fans like to banter about?

Not that it matters anymore, since ENT has shown the Defiant with this registry.

-- Kenny

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our own Jonah Rapp, aka Peregrinus, was the one who first mentioned this to me and I have been somewhat guilty of spreading it about the Internet without further documentation. I recently e-mailed him asking about his source, and he replied:
quote:
Unfortunately, this is one of two data points that comes from the screwy time when I was in transition between living in Japan and living in California. The origin of the Defiant's registry and the notion of an Excelsior-class U.S.S. Kongo came from one or more conversations with either Rick Sternbach or Mike Okuda (or both), either by phone or e-mail, and I have no documentation for any of it. I have no idea what happened to most of the e-mails we were exchanging around that time, and those are fortunately the only two bits of important information. The rest was mostly anecdotal and not directly related to in-universe fluff.

--Jonah

Someone might possibly attempt to contact Sternbach and/or Okuda via e-mail or a post on the TrekBBS (where they are both current posters) in order to glean anything more.

In any case, as you said, the issue is rendered somewhat moot by the recent appearance of the Defiant (bearing said number) in all her glory in the ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly" two-parter.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps