Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An Interview with Ed Whitefire (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An Interview with Ed Whitefire
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?!? I can't pronounce that!!

[Razz]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Aridas: Are you suggesting that Probert refused to contribute to Sternbach's plans because he (Probert) had already worked with Ed on his plans? At that time, what did you think was the reason for the inability to get input from Probert?

PS: No need to thank me, Albertus. I had just found out about the interview via Greg Tyler's post at another forum (under the name FalTorPan). [/QB]

When I asked about getting Probert's input, the request was sent up the line to, I believe, Mike. The answer came back that he "wasn't available" to give his insight. Hell if I know what that means. I had several lengthy exchanges with him last year about his work on TMP and my 1980s communications with him, but at the time it didn't occur to me to ask him about this. Now when I try to reach him I get no reply. [Frown] I guess he's just too busy these days, trying to get a TV show going, doing models on his never-used-as-he-intended designs, etc.

It was frustrating though. I knew just how big that space was, and how the thing was intended for a twenty year mission, and just how Probert had wanted to include all these grand public spaces evocative of a naturalistic ocean liner. Sort of Gerald O'Neil kind of park spaces, on a much smaller scale. I didn't agree with it, but then I didn't agree with a 2000 foot long starship with such a huge internal volume, covered with viewports. I was a big fan of his TMP-era concept for a new Enterprise that eventually evolved, and GREW, into the 1701-D. But my wishes were irrelevant, and what I -- and Todd Guenther -- were interested in what what the designer intended. That just wasn't forthcoming, and it sounded like it wouldn't have been appreciated to contact him outside the channels that were in place.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aridas:
When I asked about getting Probert's input, the request was sent up the line to, I believe, Mike. The answer came back that he "wasn't available" to give his insight. Hell if I know what that means.

Who did you ask about getting Andy's input? If it was after he left TNG, it's not surprising that he wasn't accessible by the TNG people.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Albertus
Member # 1635

- posted      Profile for Albertus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
What?!? I can't pronounce that!!

[Razz]

MMoM, neither can I!!....lol

Try: 'shoe-less-key', that's what I do. [Razz]

[Big Grin]

LastGuardian
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aridas:
Now when I try to reach him I get no reply. [Frown] I guess he's just too busy these days, trying to get a TV show going, doing models on his never-used-as-he-intended designs, etc.

I'd suggest you try again to reach him through his web site (www.probertdesigns.com). I've communicated with him recently, so I know he's accessible via the 'contact' link there. Perhaps your message fell through the cracks or just didn't get through for whatever reason.

Shane Johnson

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps