Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet Weapons Developments 2380+ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starfleet Weapons Developments 2380+
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why blow them up when you can have their ship, it's technology and all it's computer secrets?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the time it takes to transport everyone off the ship would allow the crew to just destroy their own ship.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just beam the bridge crew into space.
Or beam anestetic gas through the ship.
Or just beam the air and all it's pressure off the ship.
Or just beam everyone's skin off for a great psychological weapon when your enemies find their derilict ship...
Or beam over 100,000 stinging insects....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but then you're just getting into stuff that would be done by some creepy psycho captain. In your typical battle, space or otherwise, your objective is to destroy the other guy, or get him to surrender. Not to find new and exciting means of watching him die in abject torture.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mirror Captain Kirk would've done it.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, you could always just beam large chunks of his ship away....say the lid off his warpcore.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

- posted      Profile for Capt_Frank_Hollister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the relative merits of using transporters as weapons should be its own thread? Just a thought.

--------------------
If the crew discover I'm really just Dennis the donut boy, I'm finished.

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing... why couldn't you just beam in a singularity and just have the ship colapse on itself? or form some of those subspace "tears" that gave us the crewman in the deck scene of TNG?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

BTW.... didn't Bear or Benford(possibly Clairmont?) write a book where the Earth was destroyed and some chosen survivors chase down the culprits? One of the scenes if I remember is that a trap is set and some of the fighters and crew are turned into antimatter so that they blow up when they contact with the mother ship

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes. That's Greg Bear's (incredible) book Anvil of Stars.

Bad guys set a trap for the revenge-seeking crew of humans by turning the attacking bombships into antimatter (a couple of which impact with the main ship on their return).

Of course, those same bad guys had rigged the solar system's star to nova as part of that same trap- they were not fucking around. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you can create instant black holes anywhere you want them, you're probably beyond starship combat as a meaningful strategy, and well on your way to throwing stars around to solve your astropolitical problems.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I always thought the whole "artifical singularity" was well beyond Trek's technology level.
At least for the Romulans.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either way, I'm not sure it's even possible to beam a black hole. The practical problems like getting one on the pad without imploding the whole ship aside, I doubt a transporter beam is capable of ripping apart the atoms of a super-compressed singularity, never mind reassembling them.

If you're going to use contained singularities as a weapon, it'd be more practical to use them as mines, where they won't indiscriminatly suck your own ship into oblivion or if you really want to commit a war crime, they'd be devistating in a planetary bombardment.
To be honest, I can see more peaceful applications for such a devise. Like ignighting a gas giant into a star to bring new life to a dying system. Or to cleanly obliterate a rogue moon on a collision course before it enters an inhabited system.
Of course there is the small problem of what to do with the black hole after you've used it. One might assume that the artificial singularities that the romulans use cannot sustain themselves without some form of containment field, hence us not seeing black holes sprout everytime we've seen a Warbird blow up.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's a significant difference between being able to make one at all, and being able to do it on a whim at the spur of a moment. We don't know what the Romulans have to go through to create one. And we don't really know what they mean by "artificial." Just that they're man-, well, Romulan-made, or do they differ from a real black hole in some weird subspace voodoo way?
ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I think there's a significant difference between being able to make one at all, and being able to do it on a whim at the spur of a moment. We don't know what the Romulans have to go through to create one. And we don't really know what they mean by "artificial." Just that they're man-, well, Romulan-made, or do they differ from a real black hole in some weird subspace voodoo way?

Artificial as in "Romulan-made" and requiring
outside support systems to maintain. I like Reverend's point that given the history of Romulan self destructive tendencies, you'd expect
to see more black holes hanging around after a
battle.

I agree that current Star Trek battles look like
remakes of "Iron Ships and Wooden Men", but maybe
that's not so bad. At least they don't have a
"God Gun", though the "Q" might qualify in that
regards.

Christopher

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps