Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Flagship question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Flagship question
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the actual flagship of the US Navy the U.S.S. Constitution?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I'm kinda surprised that the Navy still has dedicated command ships; the entire idea of a fleet engagement is pretty much obsolete these days; besides, considering the amount of real-time communication available to today's military, the admiral could probably command from just about anywhere in the world...

True, but it still helps to have a flag officer on the spot to respond to rapidly developing situations, or in case communications are disrupted. During the Falklands War, for example, the senior Admiral (whose name I can't quite remember at the moment) was based at Northwood in Middlesex and commanded the task group from there but Admiral Woodward was still in local command aboard Invincible or Hermes (again I can't remember, it's been ages since I read any of this stuff). Dedicated command ships are also useful for amphibious landings and the like.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
Well in todays navy the flagship is the USS John F. Kennedy CV-67, its the ship that represents the navy at Fleet Week in Boston every year. Its a showboat it goes all over the place

Actually....it is an older, somewhat worn down, carrier that has trouble making it as an active ship in the fleet. So it gets used as a show the flag ship.

I know I served on her

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The flagship that scraped the topside off of a destroyer in the Med.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I'm kinda surprised that the Navy still has dedicated command ships; the entire idea of a fleet engagement is pretty much obsolete these days; besides, considering the amount of real-time communication available to today's military, the admiral could probably command from just about anywhere in the world...

Yes, but its much quieter aboard one of those ships than an actual combatant.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it they are basically amphibious assault command ships - joint ops and the like. Not really for fleet actions, should such occur.

Thought you were Navy Intruder...

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Navy why do you ask?

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant that he thought correctly.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

Ah I see

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps