Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oberth-class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oberth-class
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When was the Oberth-class first built? The USS Grissom NCC-638 was the first Oberth-class ship we saw, but that registry is so low it suggest the ship was built before the Constitution-class, possibily in the early 2200's. And maybe like the Constitution-class it got a major refit to look like it does now. The highest registry I have for an Oberth-class ship is NCC-59983 USS Raman. This also seems to suggest that this class has been in service for a very long, long time.

Hobbes

------------------
Evil moonbase: $50,000,000.00 Giant laser: $100,000,000.00 Perfect 1/8 size clone: Priceless.
For everything else there's...Austin Powers.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Raman is NCC-29487, actually (see my recent SWDAO post). The ship you'll want is the Cochrane, NCC-59318.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Oberth is NCC-602, which tells us when the Oberth's began

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but that's never been confirmed by anyone. . .
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it was in STVI, I think, on one of the Okudagrams.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the point is being ignored. Oberth-class ships have registries in the low 600's up to 59318, making them very old starships. Since I've yet to see any Oberth-class ships with a higher registry than the Cochrane, I'm willing to believe the class has been finally retired.

Also I got this in an email that according to the Star Trek Fact Files or something, there's a USS Cochrane NCC-8000. I'm not sure of this exactly, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about please say so.

Hobbes

------------------
Evil moonbase: $50,000,000.00 Giant laser: $100,000,000.00 Perfect 1/8 size clone: Priceless.
For everything else there's...Austin Powers.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2275 as given in the LUG RPG seems to fit nicely as the Oberth's date of entering service.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the pre-refit Oberth's looked like its similar Matt Jefferies design...

(look at the Art of Star Trek) there is also the Daedelus, and a Challenger class.

can someone post a pic.

As for the Oberths that are much older i.e. in the 50,000's They would have been built from scratch.

------------------
"I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die, while you discuss this invasion in a committee" Queen Amidala - Star Wars: Episode 1, The Phantom Menace

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the theory that registries were not necessarily chronological until 2280, and old numbers have been reused for the Oberth, Grissom and Copernicus.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes:
The e-mail you refer to may have originated with me. It seems that I am the only one who knows the name of the Oberth Class ship in the episode "The Drumhead". (Even the magazine Star Trek: Communicator and TOPPS [a maker of collector cards] has the ship identified as the USS Merrimack.) This is rather surprising since the source of my information is not mysterious. I got the source from the Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion by Larry Nemecek. He gives the name of the ship in the production notes for the episode "The Drumhead". The registry I infer from the episode. To be truthful, I find this puzzling. How many people have actually read this book?

For the record, this is my list of Oberth Class ships-

NCC-602 USS Oberth (I am unsure if this is the prototype. There may have been a ship with a lower registry, same name, that may have been the prototype. According to ST III, the Oberth Class ships are identified as Scout Class. USS Revere NCC-595 is a scout ship, The Motion Picture.)
NCC-623 USS Copernicus
NCC-638 USS Grissom
NCC-8000 USS Copernicus
NCC-19002 USS Yosemite
NCC-20000 USS Valiant ("Movie Magic"; Generations ?)
NCC-29487 USS Raman
NCC-31600 USS Bonestell
NCC-50331 USS Biko
NCC-53847 USS Pegasus
NCC-53911 USS Tsiolkovsky

Construction history-
I feel that stardates are an unreliable tool for gauging historical events in Star Trek, so I base my construction history on what is said by the characters.
In "Pegasus", Engineer LaForge stated that the USS Pegasus is a twenty year old starship and he wondered why the Romulans would want a twenty old starship. My conclusions, the USS Pegasus was commissioned in 2350 and was "old" technology by 2370. The USS Pegasus or the USS Tsiolkovsky were among the last ships to be built of this class. I guess that the last Oberth Class scout was commissioned no later than 2355. And I would guess that the class was retired after 2371, the last sighting or mention of an Oberth Class starship (USS Valiant). If a class is retired after 100 years of service like the Galaxy Class (ST: TNG TM), the Oberth Class ships could have been operational as early as 2265.
Those are my thoughts.

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot USS Cochrane NCC-59318 and SS Vico NAR-18834

------------------

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The 359:
Thanks for the SS Vico.

I believe the USS Cochrane falls into the same category as the USS Raman-the registry is wrong and I feel further that the information given in the Encyclopedia about the USS Cochrane is wrong. The USS Cochrane did make a rendezvous with a space ship-the USS Enterprise D, not Deep Space Nine. Further, I believe the ship seen in "Emissary" is the USS Yosemite. Her registry is that of the USS Yosemite and the USS Yosemite later visited DS9 in 2370 ("Whispers").

My version of events for Oberth Class ships-
c. 2265 the first Oberth Class ship is launched (USS Oberth NX-5xx or NX-602, depending on the class for the USS Revere NCC-595). Identified as being a member to the Scout Class of starships. Could these ships be the testbed for new technologies that would be used in the refitting of the Antares, Constitution, Miranda, and Soyuz Class ships?
2285 USS Grissom NCC-638 is destroyed.
2350 USS Pegasus NCC-53847 is commmissioned. She is a testbed for technologies that will be used in the Galaxy Class ships.
2351 to 2355 Final construction period of this class of ship. USS Tsiolkovsky NCC-53911 constructed in those years.
2357 USS Pegasus NCC-53847 is lost.
2363 USS Tsiolkovsky NCC-53911 is lost. Crew of eighty.
2367 USS Bonestell NCC-31600 is collateral loss in Battle of Wolf 359.
2368 SS Vico NAR-18834 is lost.
2370 USS Raman NCC-29487 is lost. (The Oberth Class ships by this point could be operated with a minimum crew of seven. The ships could be very automated.)
2372 Oberth Class ships are retired from active service. Presumed ships of this ship operating up to 2371-USS Biko NCC-50331, USS Cochrane NCC-8000, USS
Valiant NCC-20000, USS Yosemite NCC-19002. (For there to be a USS Valiant NCC-74210, the USS Valiant NCC-20000 had to be retired or destroyed before 2373. Further, why build a new ship, the USS Cochrane NCC-59318, if the class is to be retired in 3 years [2372 minus 2369 is 3 years]?) Replaced by more advanced classes.

[This message was edited by Trinculo on June 15, 1999.]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Well, who says Oberths are retired? I mean, just because we don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. I mean, we don't see any Ambassadors anymore. Are they retired? Doubtful

------------------

Trinculo
Ex-Member

And The359, who says the Constellation Class is being retired by 2371? I believe very strongly that the Constellation Class is still in active service up to 2375.
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only real reason we haven't seen Oberths lately is because Starfleet has been at war. To put an Oberth in battle is like committing homocide. Every other theory is just that.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps