Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 weapon locations? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DS9 weapon locations?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
furthering my suspicion that they'd blown most of their effects budget earlier in the season...

I always thought that they blew most of the effects budget for the season in the final 10 seconds of that episode.

(Still, wasn't it great, eh?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing is, according to the DS9 Companion, the effects guys went way overboard with the number of ships (compared to what the writers were originally envisioning). Ironic, but still one hell of a cliffhanger!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh.
I was blown away when I saw them all...
The added impact really worked to make Starfleet more plausable to me- the notion of a fleet of only a few dozen starships.

Plus....you yearned for a reckoning with the Dominion.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Was'nt the beam fired from the defense sails in season one green though? I always thought the station had some Cardassian emplacments intact....
Hmm... Which episode would this be? Even the tractor beams ("Dax" et al) seem to be yellowish IIRC.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...mabye it was yellow....I dont recall 100%.

It would've been pre-WOTW, of course...

I gotta re-watch my DVD's (though I cant find most of them from when I moved!)
I was thinking of "Dax" though.

Still, a yellow beam speaks of cardassian weaponry (to me).
Trek races (except the Federation) tend to color-coordinate their weapons with their starship colors....no idea why.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Does anyone have/know of online pics of the DS9 studio model?

I've googled, but cant find much save for some grainy scans.
I already have the pics at SSM and EAS- I'm looking for closeups of the window arrangments and the panels on the docking pylons in particular- those details are absent on the model I'm building and I plan on adding them as custom decals or paint.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A problem:

the provided screengrabs all how the defense sail with only one rotating laucher extended but the DS9TM shows both sides deployed (how they could both retract into that skinny tower elides me).

Which is correct?
Is there a shot of the defense sail with both launchers extended?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only one turret. As noted, it would be impossible to fit two into the sail. Sternbach himself has noted that when he wrote the book, he missed out or got many details wrong, as he was working on Voyager full-time as their technical consultant.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Thanks- that makes my job of removing the caps of the extended launchers much easier.

I am going to have the dorsal sail launcher on the starboard side (as shown on the screencaps) and the ventral launcher extend from the port side (to provide total coverage).
This is as far as I've gotten. It takes about half an hour of carefully drilling (with a cylindrical paper drill so the launcher cap is not destroyed- only removed) for each hole.
I'll have to scratchbuild the tractor beam emotter on the sail's face as well- the kit only has a gaping hole there for some reason. [Confused]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps