Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Probert sketches posted! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: New Probert sketches posted!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drive by Bat'Leth-ings?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to what film?
tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why am i suddenly thinking of Gangsta pimped out bat'Leths
"Junior, when we picked up your bat'leth, it was rust; Now, West Kronos Custom have pimped it to be bling with a capital B!, pumpin out Opera louder than Kovort class cruser, with a shine so great, if it doens't blind hotties with targeting scanners, nothing will! Word!"

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS film.

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Did anyone else see this?

B.J.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of those impossible to find fan-films. Heard about it a couple years ago, but have never been able to hunt down a copy. Whether it's crap or not, I don't care. I want a copy for the sake of having one.

Good catch on that, AndrewR! I'd forgotten about that one.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a Klingon fighter?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I believe it's a ladies hair removal device.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the enemy vessel Nagear. That's Reagan spelled backwards."

Clever. Except it's not.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right.
Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, did anyone else spot the single-nacelle ship in upper right corner drydock this pic...
http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder_DESIGN/ART/TREK/Complex-4.jpg
So much for two-nacelle rule.

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye it's under construction.
Mabye it's not the most detailed drawing either, Jim. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
So what happened to this film?

I like the idea of the TOS/TWOK cross-over uniforms.

Some names in there - Bill Conti - isn't he a big-time composer - did the orchestrations for the Academy Awards etc?

Anyone seen this film?

I asked Probert about it years ago - August 1998 to be precise. Specifically I was asking about the ship as I was interested in how it differed from the TOS and TMP designs.
Here's Mr Probert's reply to my email...
"Jim,
In a message dated 8/8/98 4:43:54 AM, you wrote:

I read an article in a "Starlog" magazine, sometime in the mid 80's, about an unofficial 'Star Trek' film (I think it was called 'Yorktown II') that you were said to be providing some designs for.

Yep.

The article included a drawing of a Klingon scout-ship, and credited you with designing the "Yorktown", which was described as being a mixture of the Original Series and Movie Era type starship.

Yes, well, it would be more of an intermediate design.

I don't know if the movie was ever completed or screened , but I was wondering if you might still have some drawings or photographs of the "Yorktown", and if I might be able to obtain a copy of them?

Sorry, I can't lie to you, I do have them somewhere, but we just moved and I'd rather not dig for them through all the boxes, just now.

If that isn't possible, could you tell me if the "Yorktown" design is anything like the "Enterprise" model that was being built for 'Star Trek - Phase II'

No. A friend built that model from parts of plastic hobby kits.

(whatever happened to that model? Was it broken up, put into storage, or lost/stolen?).

I have no idea. I never actually saw the model, myself. The shots you saw were given to me when I worked on ST:TMP.

Any way, I'm glad you liked what you saw. There may be a model of that Klingon fighter out, one day; I'm talking to someone about it. Write me back, in a few months and maybe you'll have better luck with your request, okay?

Thanks,
AndyP-"

Well, I wrote him back some time later but never heard from him again *sniff*
Was true to his word about the model of the Klingon fighter though, even if it did take 7 years...
Tried to find the film maker, Stan Woo, but lucked out on that search too.
And I still don't know what the Yorktown looks like...

Cheers!

Jim.

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim NCC1701A:
Hey, did anyone else spot the single-nacelle ship in upper right corner drydock this pic...
http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder_DESIGN/ART/TREK/Complex-4.jpg
So much for two-nacelle rule.

I think the rules came into play later
Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

Jason, granted it is a rough drawing. Might even have been what caused Roddenberry to come up with the rule...? Took one look at it and said "Ick, no more of them".

Captain Boh, don't ya just think that some rules were made to be broken?
http://www.albumsnaps.com/?c=photos&pID=26556&s=2

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I believe it was Roddenberry's (supposed) snub to the FJ designs that established the "rules".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps