Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » On the Sizes of Ships

Author Topic: On the Sizes of Ships
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the latest in my series of Star Trek Commentaries:

On the Sizes of Ships: How Big is A...?

Boris

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good fundamental treatise. I wonder why we have been disputing all the time.

BTW: Has anyone else problems with their character set when displaying Boris' pages? I don't know if it only applies to German systems, but every time when I am on a Czech site a hardly readable font is used as default font instead of Times. Boris: The problem disappears if you change the meta tag to "charset=windows".

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, yes...even though I have fonts turned off in my browser, the site still shows up in Charcoal instead of Times...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I deliberately specified the font as Times or Times New Roman in an attempt to avoid having that thick unwieldy font on Mac systems. PC systems seem to work just fine with or without font specifications. If it's the character set then I'll check on it.

Boris

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the "thick, unwieldy font" is what it's appearing in.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

My encoding is Western (Latin1).

And the font *is* unwieldy.

Boris

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The charset tag switches the browser to another character set. I don't know if Frank also uses Netscape, but the Navigator 4.x offers the possibility to do the same manually. I couldn't figure out whether the first overrides the latter format or the other way round. The browser seems to display what it wants. I have the English Netscape version, and since it is obviously a browser problem, I guess that all people with the same browser meet the same problems.

Western ISO-8859-1 seems to be the usual (English) character set, and it always works for English pages. It's also the default setting of my pages (German version of Front Page), even if the language is supposed to be German. This tells me this character set can't be wrong. Umlaute are correctly displayed, I don't know about special characters in other languages.

Western ISO-8859-2 and Windows-1250 are called "Central European". These ones mess up the browser (even the text-only windows). Sometimes it affects the subsequent pages (even those with 8859-1), sometimes not (only if you open a new window?). The font face tag doesn't change anything.

I'm even more confused than before. Anyway, ISO-8859-1 seems to work perfectly.

Recently, I was on a Japanese page, and this one even messed up the pop-up windows, "Open file...", "Save as..." that have nothing to do with the browser.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps