Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet Prototype/Starfleet Dynamics Light Board (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starfleet Prototype/Starfleet Dynamics Light Board
Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong forum so feel free to bump me but it's not like there's a lot of competing traffic at the moment.

Since my Trek pages have a high pagerank on Google I get lots of requests of the form "how much is this worth?" - usually I just direct people to eBay and am done with it.

But this one might be of interest to folks here. I'm not trying to help sell it, but I'm curious enough to help the owner track down exactly where it's from:

-

It's a backlit sign board for Starfleet Dynamics/Starfleet Prototype.

This struck me as particularly strange; while the book had quite a print run, it wasn't from a big publisher. Any guesses as to whether this was a promo item from the (self)publisher, or something some other fans decided to put together? I know the author (David Schmidt) has poked his head onto this forum from time to time. Anyone have current contact info?

If anyone is interested in getting in touch with the seller let me know.

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone made a backlit sign from the Starfleet Prototype books.
Not realy hard- the books are okay if exceptionally military themed (fitting the TWOK era they came out in, I suppose).
That horrible thing at the bottom is a mix of Connie and Reliant parts with the Reliant's so-called "megaphasers" sticking up from the primary hull.

If you want the book, I'll send it to you.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have SD, and I think I'm burned out on collecting more reference books, but thanks.

Yeah, not hard to make. It's just a somewhat weird thing to do, so I'm wondering if there's a particular history to this.

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Starstalker"? Does one really need to stalk a star? It's not like they run and hide...

Or is this Starfleet's paparazzi vessel?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It finds cloaked stars....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's in the same sense as "starship". After all, do you need to ship a star?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Speaking as a manger for FedEx, yes, yes, you do.
It's extra, of course and we charge to pack it...

Neutronium peanuts and dark-matter bubblewerap are not cheap you know...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to see a backlit LCARS of say the star chart of Federation Space...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I've seriously considered it. I could make one up easily enough at work, but I have no lightbox to install it in and am a lazy lazy man.

When I'm not working as a "manger"- fuck I cant type for shit...

How large is that box?
insert vagina joke here

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insert your own damn joke....

Man, FedEx is lazy. A UPS manager would have easily inserted is own joke about how large his box is. [Wink]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, "FedExKinkos" technically- I was a Kinko's manager, then FedEx bought us and now I'm middle-managment for FedEx.

I'm hoping the Government buys FedEx (as they once threatened)- then I'll be a middle-managment Government man!

Imagine al the fun I could have then....
The CIA needs a new Director- where's my resume?

All that aside, if someone were to make a nice smallish lightbox, I could likely make a print...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did indeed make a lightboard like that for the introduction of my book at the LA Con several years ago. I must have sold it.

The reason my ships of the TOS movies are so 'military' is that that is the way ST2 Director Meyer envisioned them - and the era they were in. The cold war was simmering.

--------------------
www.strategicdesignpub.com

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to see another "Lost Years" or "Lost Era" novel set between TMP and TWoK showing how things went from tense to hostile with the Klingons.

Nice to see you again, BTW... [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That would indeed shore up some issues.
Maybe some Federation protectorate decided to go Klingon after a diplomatic snafu or change in their leadership?
Or possibly tensions rose from the race to explore/accumilate new worlds for each empire- if the Klingons felt threatened by rapid Federation expansion....

While that sounds like a dull book, Art of the Impossible was one of the best L.E. books and it spanned several decades and dealt mostly with behind-the-scenes machination of empires.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Scott
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
"Starstalker"? Does one really need to stalk a star? It's not like they run and hide...

Or is this Starfleet's paparazzi vessel?

Actually, IIRC, it was designed by Commander Montgomery Scott while the Enterprise was being refitted. Four forward and four aft torp tubes.....

Scott

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps