Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Drone" questions. (Possible $$)

Author Topic: "Drone" questions. (Possible $$)
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will recall, no doubt, that in Engineering when Torres, Neelix et al are downloading information into Borg data nodes, a screen is shown with various ships seen flashing on it.

Some of the ships are
Galaxy class.
Klingon BoP.
Defiant.
Cardassian freighter like the one's seen in 'Return to Grace' and 'For the Uniform'.
Ferengi Marauder
A TOS Romulan Bop (which I thought was a new ship, got all hot and bothered about, then realisation hit me)

Now, I DON'T KNOW IF THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE, but I found two oddities in the sequence.

ODDITIES:
1. There appears to be a picture of what I think is an Akira. You can only see the saucer section, as the rest is out of shot.

2. There is, without a shadow of a doubt, an image of a Dominion battlecruiser in there as well.

REPERCUSSIONS:
1. This may or may not throw the "age of the Akira" debate into chaos. I haven't been following it.

2. The Feds knew of the Dominion's battlecruiser at the time of 'Caretaker', which is unlikely as WE didn't see them until 'By Purgatory's Shadow', a year-and-a-half after 'The Search' (which I think is around the time of 'Caretaker'.), at which time the Feds themselves didn't even know about the existance of the Founders.
Conradictory? Definitely.

POSSIBLE EXPLANATIONS:
1. a) The Akira class is more than 5 years old.
b) The Doctor has amazing recall ('MiaB').
c) Another confusing Okudagram.

2. a) They KNEW about the battlecruiser secretely.
b) Starfleet had already encountered it.
c) Another confusing Okudagram.

Guess which I'm going for!

Anyway, there is only one event that could, at all, explain this discrepancy.
The secret message that Starfleet sent Voyager in 'Hunters' and decoded in 'Hope and Fear' contained info pertaining to both these ships.

This is just my take on things.
Opinions and other comments welcome.

*Didn't know what the hell SWDAO stood for until now. Yahoo!*

------------------
If no-one will play with me, then I'm going home,and I'm bringing the inflatible with me.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there also the Descent Borg vessel as well.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you also have to remember the Norway on the wall in the species 8472 mockup of Starfleet...

It was pretty clear that they got their info from Voyager since they were wearing Voyager uniforms (well they USED to be the DS9 uniforms ;o)) well anyway - that means that the Norway is either from info from Message in a Bottle, or the Norway is from before Caretaker...

Now I believe that the Akira and others from FC who are new ships but are of older registries belong to the train of thought that these are difficult or mothballed or 'long design process' ships that were just being launched... i.e. this accounts for their great number in sector 001 in FC.

------------------
"I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die, while you discuss this invasion in a committee" Queen Amidala - Star Wars: Episode 1, The Phantom Menace

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh also, there was an Akira when the Voyager was being built.

------------------
"I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die, while you discuss this invasion in a committee" Queen Amidala - Star Wars: Episode 1, The Phantom Menace

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they are old ships that were being refitted at the time of FC, which is why there were so many.

------------------
"Silence, you contemptible shrew!"
-Stewie, The Family Guy

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts-
the Akira, Norway, Sabre, and Steamrunner classes date to before 2370. They are becoming prominent because several older classes are being retired and the ships of the above mentioned classes are being used to fill in the gaps, so to speak.

The source of the information for the mock Starfleet-
Species 8472 could have learned the information from the Borg. Adversaries in war have often attempted to get information from each other.

IP: Logged
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Jesus, I've just gone and made another balls-up of things.

I re-watched 'Drone' again today. No sight of 'Descent's Borg ship, but the sighting of the Akira was nothing more than my over-active imagination! Upon further re-examination, I've concluded that it wasn't an Akira, but a MOON!!
I'm really sorry to all out there (those that pay me attantion, that is!). No malice aforethought.

Oh, and 'Relativity' has yet to be broadcast on this side of the Pond, Andrew. Thanks for the clarifying image, though.

Any thoughts on the presence of the Dominion's battlecruiser? I'm positive on this one.

------------------
If no-one will play with me, then I'm going home,and I'm bringing the inflatible with me.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell the name and registry on that Excelsior?

------------------
Star Trek: Dark Horizon
Creator, Owner, Only Writer

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think its really visable, so someone may have to e-mail one of the fx guys.

------------------
"Can't wait to eat that Monkey..."-Abraham Simpson

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, let's hope those are just ships being re-fitted, though I don't think it was around the time of FC since that didn't take place until about a year later. But what I'm getting at is, if ALL of those ships are being built and not going through re-fits then they're still building Excelsiors.

I didn't see this episode yet so pardon me if I'm out of the loop on this one.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps