Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: Constitution Class decommission date

Author Topic: SWDAO: Constitution Class decommission date
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the end of STVI: The Undiscovered Country, the Enterprise-A is ordered decomissioned by Starfleet Command. Now the Enterprise-A has only been in service for less than 10 years, so a decommission after a short period of time seems strange, unless the entire class was ordered decomissioned itself. We therefore can put the decomission date of the Constitution class sometime after STVI. What do you think?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts-
The class, with the possible exception of two, were scrapped by 2300.

IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which two are the exceptions?

------------------
"Can't wait to eat that Monkey..."-Abraham Simpson

Trinculo
Ex-Member

"Relics"
The ship in the museum

"Valiant"
The USS Republic

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Endeavour NCC-1865 might also still be in service beyond 2300. Of course, she could also be the ship in the museum

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, if the Republic from "Valiant" isn't the Constitution-class one, which it almost certainly isn't, since Picard seemed to suggest in "Relics" that the museum one was the only one left, there was only one left...

------------------
"Silence, you contemptible shrew!"
-Stewie, The Family Guy

steamrunner2000
Ex-Member

Well, I believe they stated in service probably til 2305-2310, since the Excelsior class ships were just starting.

------------------
Has anyone seen any swallows around???

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard simply said that there is "one like this in the Fleet Museum". He didn't say anything about it being the only one left. The Republic, on the other hand, is canonically very old. I'd say the chances of it being the Constitution class Republic are pretty fair, especially if Ron Moore wrote the episode. (Him being the staff's resident TOS fan.)

I suppose we could ask him, but I don't know if he's answering question on his AOL board any more frequently than he is at news.startrek.com.

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last ships in regular service were probably retired around 2300.

I trust Picard if he says there's one in the Fleet Museum, which automatically implies there are no others. If there were a ship in active service, he would have mentioned this one, because it would have been much more relevant.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've said in the Ships Still In Use thread. Mike Okuda says Ron Moore reckons the Republic in use by the Academy is the original one. Of course, whether that's something he decided after the fact, or deliberately chose the name as one of the TOS Constitutions we know wasn't destroyed. . . that is the question.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard didn't explicitly say that the museum one was the only one left, but the way he said it made it seem so. If there had also been a training one left, he would have said that there were two still around. Even if he were only going to mention one, I would expect it to be the trainer, since it would still be in use. It would have made Scotty feel better to know they were still using an old Constitution, rather than having the better part of his life relegated to a museum exhibit...

------------------
"Silence, you contemptible shrew!"
-Stewie, The Family Guy

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now that I think about it, 2300 seems a bit too early. The USS Lantree NCC-1837, Miranda class, was still in service in the 2360s. The USS Endeavour NCC-1865 has a higher registry, and most likely could have survived until at least 2350. It is also possible the Endeavour was destroyed, but if there was a sister ship to the Endeavour, built at the same time, and survived?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the constitution in the museum is an unrefitted class (put in there cause they new that these were gonna dissappear) and that the Republic is a refitted ship. Still old - but not the same as the 'no bloody a, b, c or d' Enterprise that Scotty asked for... although - how did the computer know he wasn't meaning the Refit Enterprise - but we see Scotty and Picard in the origianl TOS bridge so I would assume Picard meant one like the one they were in i.e. pre-refit.

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps