Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: USS Courageous

Author Topic: SWDAO: USS Courageous
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while ago, Trinculo was so kind to mail me a liat of additional ships including the USS Courageous (NCC-1861) from Star Trek: The Continuing Missions (Soyuz class, shown in a diagram by Mike Okuda). I haven't seen it, and I don't know if it was in any way used on screen. Opinions on this one?

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Courageous, NCC-1861 is from Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume 1. She was a Surya class frigate later upgraded to the Avenger class heavy frigate specification. (Same as the USS Reliant).

As Mike Okuda has expressed a degree of respect for the quality of SotSf it's possible that he included the name and registry (albeit given to a different but similar class) as a homage.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha...it all makes sense now. Okuda used a diagram from that book to draw the Soyuz modifications on.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting... You can see where the rollbar was erased, but the pod is still there, apparently just hovering above the ship? :-)

------------------
"Silence, you contemptible shrew!"
-Stewie, The Family Guy

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this make the Courageous canon?

------------------
"Can't wait to eat that Monkey..."-Abraham Simpson

steamrunner2000
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Courageous has been canon for a while now, since I saw it I think in the Art of Star Trek Book

------------------
Has anyone seen any swallows around???

IP: Logged
Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when was the Art of Star Trek canon? If it was then Valiant class would have been canon...

The USS Courageous is most certainly not canon. As far as I'm concerned she's still an Avenger class heavy frigate.

The really interesting thing here is that when Mike Okuda wanted a Miranda schematic he turned to Ships of the Starfleet...

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Identity Crisis
The Art of Star Trek has props and okudagrams from the films or episodes. Paramount considers anything that is seen or heard or taken from the films or episodes as canonical. I agree that the USS Courageous is not canonical since the ship never appeared in any film or episode. And the same could be said for the USS Hokkaido. People add the USS Hokkaido to their Renaissance Class lists for completeness. And I add the USS Courageous to my list for the Soyuz Class for completeness.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ambassador hasn't been seen either, but that's almost universally considered to be canon.

------------------

Trinculo
Ex-Member

I didn't include the USS Ambassador for the ship is referenced in "Conspiracy" when Data says "Ambassador Class Heavy Cruiser". The canonical evidence supports the existence in Starfleet of a class of ships being named after a prototype (ex. Excelsior). There is no evidence for the USS Hokkaido in the canonical sources. However, fans who want to keep the list to ships mentioned in films and episodes invariably include the USS Hokkaido for completeness. I do the same for the USS Courageous.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's the Avenger-class? Never heard of it.

I too mention the USS Courageous on my Soyuz-class page at my website, for as Trinculo says, 'completeness'.

Hobbes

TheFSD.com

------------------
Got Trek?

[This message was edited by Hobbes on June 17, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it was Worf who simply said "heavy cruiser"...no "Ambassador-class."

If the Courageous is anything, it's a Miranda, not a Soyuz. The Soyuz additions were simply drawn onto an existing schematic.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

Avenger is what fans called the Miranda Class before there was the Miranda class.

------------------

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The class of the USS Horatio is given in the episode.
Identity Crisis
Member # 67

See my Speculative History of the Miranda class.

Note that it is my speculation.

Miranda is the Cruiser variant. Avenger is the Heavy Frigate variant. In the 24th century they are generally all called Miranda class because (a) it's simpler to refer to the whole family by one name and (b) the Miranda cruisers continued in production a lot longer than the Avenger/Cyane/Kresta frigates did.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps