Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign Class Speculation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sovereign Class Speculation
Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is how I think the ship building rates go,

Experimental
The hull design and laying of the inner structure about 1-2 1/2 years. Integration of possible new or experimental technology and the fixing of any design flaws, about 1 year. Then the fitting of the interior would take about 1/2 year. Last, trial runs should be conducted for about 1 year. Total of about 3-5 years.

Classes in Normal Production
The laying and construction of the hull, about 1/2-1 year. Adding interior systems, technology, and design flaws, about another 1/2-1 year. Trial runs for 1/2 year. This takes about 1-2 1/2 years depending on the size and design elements of the vessel.

Defiant class ships are the main exception to this because they can be built probably at the rate of one ship taking only 3-6 months to complete.

Galaxy's are also an exception just because of the sheer massive size of the ship, 42 decks can take a long time to complete.

------------------
Well, no one is perfect so don't try to be perfect, just be yourself!

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it takes 3-6 months to make a Defiant-class, they probably spit out a Danube a day!

------------------
Star Trek: Dark Horizon
Creator, Owner, Only Writer

Deep6
Ex-Member

i would imagine it only takes about 2 weeks at most to construct Danube class runabouts. Were talking about serious mass production here. All the pieces are more than likely prefabricated and only have to be assembled.

------------------
"So where are the nuggets on a chicken anyway?"

Voyager
Ex-Member

The only reason I gave a time frame like that is because, Defiant class ships are much smaller than most others but, I never said what I wrote was fact. It wouldn't surprise me if it takes longer to build a Defiant class starship.

------------------
Well, no one is perfect so don't try to be perfect, just be yourself!

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has to be more than one Danube a day. Boeing used to make 31 737's a month.

------------------

Deep6
Ex-Member

Notice all the plane crashes lately?

------------------
"The brocolli must die!"

-Stewie, The Family Guy

Adam Bauer
Ex-Member

Galaxies should be much faster to produce now that the prototype phase is over. Has anyone else noticed that the secondary hull seems to be produced in at least two modules (four counting nacelles) and welded together? I believe this could be further evidence that modularized hull components are replicated somewhere. Remember that a lot of the phaser and computer systems are standard now and are probably also mass produced. I believe the five year estimate is probably a good one.

If you think about it wouldn't interior finishing take up a lot of time on a ship that size? I'm guessing it would be necessary for workmen to come in and do things like lay carpet, install replications, computer consoles, lights, etc manually... Without all of this development time could probably be reduced a fair amount - leaving things like this out would make a lot of sense in a war-time situation.

In construction the more experimental a ship's components are the longer it should take to build. If a ship reuses standardized components and hull designs like the Neb. and Miranda it should really speed up development a lot both in the prototyping phase and when testing (proven systems will probably not be tested as much as the experimental). The Sovereign probably took at least 10 years to construct then. Depending on just how many new systems (like the warp core) were used in it.

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately? Plane crashes occur all the time, but they don't make our front pages unless it's some worldwide airline.

------------------

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI
The F-22 Reaches IOC (Initial Operations Capability) in 2004. :-)

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps