Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SS Mariposa

Author Topic: SS Mariposa
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SS Mariposa was mentioned in an old thread, but this wasn't brought up.

According to an LCARS Okudagram by Mike Okuda...

SS Mariposa
NAR 7678
DY 500 class
Launched 27 November 2123

What got me was the date of launch, 38 years before the Federation was founded. Yet it has a Federation registry designation, NAR. What does this mean you ask? It means that registry terms like NCC, NAR, and NX were used for ships before the Federation was formed. And since the Okudagram was seen on TV it's all the proof I need, and is official.

Hobbes

Federation Starship Datalink

------------------
Got Trek?

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NAR- prefix is applied to the SS Mariposa by the United Nations (okudagram, "Up the Long Ladder", Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion). This suggests to me that registry prefixs denote place of origin. I believe the NCC- is applied to Starfleet ships commissioned after the founding of the Federation.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, in later times, the 'N' means "Federation". Perhaps "NAR" was used on Earth before then, and, when they decided to use the 'N' on Federation ships, they said "Well, what the hell, let's just use what we've already been using..."

------------------
"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you."
-They Might Be Giants, "Critic Intro"

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with TSN.
The first letter indicates the Galactic Nation which this ship comes from.
The next two letters indicates the specific member world or organization in that Galactic Nation.

1. NAR
N-United Federation of Planets
AR-Earth. Member World. (The Nenebek which is a ship of the 23rd century is given the prefix NAR which gives a suggestion of this ship's origins or that a owner of this ship choose to give his or her ship an Earth registry for reasons unknown.)
2. NCC
CC-Starfleet. Organization.
3. NCD
CD-Unknown. Member World. (The unnamed Klingon shuttle of the Toron Class is given a registry with this prefix. According to the italics portion of the entry for Toron Class shuttles, the Nenebek, Yridian, and the future time ship may all be of this class. I believe the Toron Class shuttle to be a Federation shuttle which is bought and sold on the civilian market. The shuttles date to the 23rd century. The Klingon pilot bought his shuttle. And, he kept the registry of the previous owner or choose a registry that is Federation.)
4. NCV
N-United Federation of Planets.
CV-Temporal Bureau of Investigations. Organization.
5. NFT
FT-Ktaria. Member World. (Did Ktaria have a falling out with the Federation in 2368? "The Game")
6. NGL
GL-Unknown. Member World.
7. NSP
SP-Vulcan
8. NX
X-Prototype. Starfleet. Organization.

Other
1. BDR
B-Unknown. Not United Federation of Planets
DR-Unknown. Member World or Organization. (Though the SS Santa Maria would appear to be a United Federation of Planets ship, her registry prefix is against this. She may belong to a small galactic nation of Earthers who are neutral to the Federation. Of course, there are other explanations.)
2. YLT
Y-Yridian
LT-Unknown. Member World or Organization. (The structure of the Yridian Nation is unknown.)

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok having a bit of fun here people:

NAR - Non Applicable Registry
BDR - Barad D�r Registry (for you TOLKIEN fans ;0))

actually I have always though YLT - Yridian Light Transport!?!

NSP - no specific purpose?

NCD - no Compact disc player installed.

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And YLT = You Little Twit. 8)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps