Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A picture of subspace.

Author Topic: A picture of subspace.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a request to repost this one, so here it is.

(Ok, not so much a request as I forced someone into hearing about my wacko theories, and needed to put up my visual representation.)

This one hasn't been updated, though. There's a new one on the way though, promise.

------------------
"Don't call me at work again. Oh no, the boss still hates me. I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore, and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go...I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare."
--
They Might Be Giants

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this scheme why would the Federation view warp 10 as the limit of their current technology?
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...because warp 10 is infinite speed and therefore (mostly) impossible.

------------------
"Don't call me at work again. Oh no, the boss still hates me. I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore, and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go...I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old Warp 10 problem: While Warp 1-9 seem to refer to physical or technical barriers (see energy vs. Warp factor diagram: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/treknology/warptable.gif ), the definition Infinite=Warp 10 is arbitrary. The speed range between Warp 9 and 10 could be numbered Warp 9 - Warp 100 or anything else. The current scale just expresses there is no more peak transitional threshold above Warp 9 with the current propulsion technology. If there will be PTTs again with transwarp, the scale might be changed accordingly (All Good Things?). In Sol's diagram the upper transwarp domain might be Warp 10 - Warp 19 and the lower domain Warp 20 - Warp 29, for instance, depending on the number of PTTs (if there are any).

Sol: Maybe you should replace "Warp 10" with "Infinite speed", so it will be universally valid.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, I made the diagram up to fit in with the current warp scheme. But it wouldn't hurt to add a "Warp 10=sideways 8" to it.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies and gentlemen, the long awaited peek at the contents of the Millennium dome!

Do you dare walk to the centre??!!?!!!

This is what I mean, BTW:
Whereizzit?!

------------------
"It seems strange that I, Kudos, a doubter, should be given this luxurious window seat whilst you.... AGEING with age, rot away in that disgrace of an aisle seat. Ha, Hah! Where is your God now old woman?!"
"Jesus, I'm sorry I asked...!"

- THE BIG BUS

[This message was edited by Montgomery on May 26, 1999.]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*guesses you have to know what this "Millennium Dome" is to understand the joke*

------------------
"Although I'm so tired, I'll have another cigarette. And curse Sir Walter Raleigh; he was such a stupid git."
-the Beatles, "I'm So Tired"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

*LOL*

------------------
"Should have changed that stupid lock. Should have thrown away the key. No no, not I, I will survive, right down here on my knees."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to know. Otherwise I'll come up with my own explanation: The Millennium Dome is a 3D representation of Sol's warp chart, and the reciprocal roof steepness is proportional to the warp speed.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I've been found out!

Sol System: Rogue Architect. I like the sound of that.

My design secret.

------------------
"Should have changed that stupid lock. Should have thrown away the key. No no, not I, I will survive, right down here on my knees."
--
They Might Be Giants

[This message was edited by Sol System on May 27, 1999.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, so THAT's what your voice sounds like Sol. Sounds a bit English.

The warp speed chart (if I remember) shows an exponentially increasing curve. The difference between Warp 1-2 is far far smaller than that between 8-9. That said, there must be a reason why it was worked out that way. Don't the energies required drop greatly at each warp factor, increase over the various points, then drop back down at the next warp factor? For instance, isn't warp 6.9 more energy intensive than warp 7? If so, are their these energy droops at any speed between Warp 9 and 10?

------------------
'His limbs flail about as if independent from his body!'
-Chandler Bing on Michael Flatley.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: Your description of the warp energy requirement graph is correct, but I don't recall whether or not there are any peaks between 9 and 10...

------------------
"I make fun of senior citizens, but obviously I aspire to be one of them, the alternative being what it is."
-Scott Adams, The Dilbert Future

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

There are none, as I pointed out above, and this is exactly why everything above Warp 9 does not fit into the scale and is arbitrary. Above Warp 9 there doesn't seem to be a physical effect conventional warp drives can take advantage of.

The correct formula for the original warp scale was v/c=WF^3. The scale has changed a bit between Warp 1 and Warp 9 and a lot above Warp 9 when Roddenberry wanted Warp 10 to be infinite.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The current warp formula is really long, but it does work. If I find it, I'll post it again...

------------------
"I make fun of senior citizens, but obviously I aspire to be one of them, the alternative being what it is."
-Scott Adams, The Dilbert Future

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I would be interested to get the formula. When I wanted to program it some time ago, I didn't find it anymore.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps