Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira Shuttlebay Questions

Author Topic: Akira Shuttlebay Questions
Jamaharon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just picked up the latest edition of the Star Trek Magazine. It features a section on "Designing the Akira Class". When reading the text, I noticed some possible errors. In the paragraph entitled "Likeable Gunship", it mentions the shuttlebays of the Akira.

The text reads:

quote:
"It has 15 torpedo launchers and two shuttlebays - one in the front, with three doors, and one in the back. I really got into it with this one, with the whole idea that the front bay would be the launching bay, and then to return they'd come into the back, because they'd be protected by the rest of the ship."

Interesting idea, however there is a picture on the next page of the proposed back shuttlebay that shows three doors as well. For reference purposes, here is the picture (39 k). (Notice how the rear shuttlebay doors are nearly identical to the Soveriegn's).

Now, Jeager said that the shuttles would exit in the front and return in the back. Does this mean that the shuttle bay goes all the way through the saucer? If so, this may be a very weak part of the structure of this ship.

I know the Akira is a revolutionary design, and I'd like to see what you guys and gals think about this.

On a side note, there is another image on the same page as the one above showing the Akira's torpedo launchers and bridge module. Here is the image (57 k).

------------------
Visit my webpage @
www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Canal/6569
"You're young," said Athos. "Your bitter memories still have time to turn into sweet ones."

[This message was edited by Jamaharon on June 20, 1999.]

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the final version of the Akira ended up with two shuttlebays on the back...they're even labelled "1" and "2".

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The saucer shuttle bay on the Galaxy class goes almost all the way to the front.

BTW: There is a 4th aft shuttlebay behind/under the bridge visible in your first picture. This is probably a shuttlebay for the stardrive section in case of a saucer seperation.

------------------
Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could be an emergency bay, with a shuttle for the captain incase the ship is about to blow up or something. Kind of like how Navy ships have a special boat while the rest of the crew gets rubberrafts. Doesn't seem very fair, but that's way it is.
Also it could be for the captains yacht, it doesn't neccessarly need to be on the bottom of the saucer.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just gotta say - how cool those pictures look...

I am now beginning to suspect that the Akira is the Nebula version of the Sovereign class... i.e. the Nebula was around before the Galaxy presumably to be a testbed for new Galaxy technologies, this also Gels with having the Akira at Utopia Planitia at the time Voyager was being built

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it might just be a cargo door though.

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went downtown and picked up this issue, and after looking at the picture of the aft-end of the bridge, I think it is only a "harbor" for travel pods to dock. There are two protrusions on the "wings" of the bridge module that I see as docking ports.

------------------
"You were right about the negotiations...they were short."
Obi-Wan Kenobi to QuiGon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allright! I am just about sick and tired of hearing the same ol bs about through-decks having weak infrastructure.

Why this assumption? If the creators of this fiction deem flt travel possible, why is it impossible to imagine materials of durability beyond what we can manufacture now?

Also there is this pretty strong architectual structure called the ARCH, that can support a lot of weight--or in the case of starship inertial mass. So given that we can have srtong materials, strong architectual structures and fictituos Inertial Damping Fields and Structural Integrity Fields, no part of the ship should be drastically weaker than another.

------------------
"I know we are several years apart, but. . .the Force is so strong within you. Ravish me!."

Padme, experiencing a moment of weakness. Some might argue the Jedi mind trick.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone looked on the page right after where it says the Akira Class has 15 torpedo launchers? There is a drawing that Alex made of the front end of the Akira, showing three shuttle-like doors.

------------------
"But I want it that way"

-Backstreet Boys

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I just looked at the picture Alex made of the aft shuttlebays on the Akira Class and compared it to the picture of the saucer section shuttlebay on the Sovereign Class, from the 1st ST: The Magazine, and they don't look anything alike. Can someone post it please? It's on page 42 with the briefing of the new shuttlecraft carried onboard the Enterprise-E.

------------------
"But I want it that way"

-Backstreet Boys

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't have to. Compare the refit Enterprise and the Reliant.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps