Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Standard deck height.

Author Topic: Standard deck height.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a standard deck height for starships? That's the question I got in the mail. Here's how I answered:

Using the Galaxy-class ship as an example, I took the 195.26 meters height and divided by 42. The answer is a little long, rounded to 4.65 meters each deck. Then converted metric to english, 1 meter = 3.28 feet. I get 15.25 feet. That's too high, and when we see the crew walking through the corridors it looks more like 7 feet or 7.5 ft. The rest of the space that 8 ft could have crawlspace for jefferies tubes and support, along with circuitry, etc.

This still seems inconsistant, and the question of standard deck height unanswered. I brought this up because I thought some one here might know.

Hobbes

------------------
Federation Starship Datalink
Got Trek?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, there is no such creature. Deck height varies from ship to ship, and even varies within a single ship.

------------------
Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but, if you get a long little doggie, wouldn't you just call it a 'dachshund'?"

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful when taking dimensions directly from the DS9 tech manual. The Galaxy class is only about 140 meters tall when measured off a schematics (137.5 according to the SciPubTech poster). That's a height of something over 3m per deck.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All bow to the Queen of high decks: The Intrepid Class, with decks that are about 4,5m high!!

Seriously: most decks are between 3 and 4m high, depending on what you put in between them.

------------------
Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps