Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant size/layout solution

Author Topic: Defiant size/layout solution
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I was revising my Defiant page when I thought of something. What if the Defiant's MSD is constantly set to a fancy 133% "interior zoom-in" mode, in which the ship's outline doesn't change size onscreen? Here's what would happen upon zooming out:

1) Deck 4 would shift to the ship's actual bottom surface (Deck 3 in the MSD). Since this deck now exists at the centerline and not in just the port/starboard sections, the aft torpedo launcher need not be split into two for balance. Checks out with the dialogue/VFX which suggest only one aft centerline launcher.

2) The warp core would not be hanging in outer space as it does now on Deck 4, assuming a placement at the centerline.

3) There is no need to postulate further shuttlebays, as the bay depicted in the MSD would move up to the ship's bottom and slightly forward into the circular area.

4) The impulse engines would also move slightly forward and into the red-glowing areas where they belong.

5) The overall ship would have six 8-10' decks, as indicated by the turbolift plaque and dialogue references. Rick built this configuration into the four-deck Raven, mentioning that it's a standard for smaller ships.

6) Those rows of 'windows' on the underside could actually stand for 6-foot subdecks 5 and 6.

This solution would somewhat reflect the real-world occurence of a) Drexler making the obvious mistake with the warp core and correcting it later for the manual b) the likely misunderstandings regarding the ship's bottom which resulted in so many Deck 4 MSD locations assigned to MSD's Deck 3 by the writers and the VFX people.

What's in these surrounding areas? Probably nothing too interesting. Ablative armor and similar shielding devices? I'd very much appreciate it if some of you PaintShopPro wizards could fit the MSD into a Defiant side schematic according to the above description. The MSD needs to be about 3/4ths of the length of the schematic, and should ideally be aligned with impulse engines and the shuttlebay.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 26, 1999).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By Joe, I think he got it!

------------------
I love Zilla's lips ! ;)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's Joe?

------------------
"Breath...keep breathing. I can't do this alone"
--
Radiohead

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's obviously Joe Straczynski...

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe Straczynski? Perish the thought, man!

I think that the lad has hit the nail on the head. I'd like to see the new revised MSD if any of the PaintShopPro masters could spent some time reworking it.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like this?

I haven't checked the impulse and shuttle positions against a regular diagram. The shuttle looks a little far back, but it may not be stored directly on top of the tractor beam, er... bay doors. :-)

------------------
"You! Are you smarter than this one?"
-Ambassador Byleth to LaForge regarding Worf, TNG's "Liasons"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, Tim. That's good, quick work. Does this mean I have to respect you now?

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

That's good, Tim, perhaps the scale of the inner diagram should be slightly lower, until the exhaust opening of the impulse engines aligns with the aft torpedo launcher "gun-point" - that's where the real impulse engines are. But yes, this is about it.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 29, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, rather than changing the scale again, couldn't the engines just be shifted forward? We can assume that, on the MSD, they've been moved relatively back to make room for other stuff (the warp core, for instance...).

------------------
"You! Are you smarter than this one?"
-Ambassador Byleth to LaForge regarding Worf, TNG's "Liasons"

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

TSN: Well, one possibility is to disregard the MSD placements completely because they could be arbitrary, as for ease of reference by the engineers. This is also a nice explanation, but I would rather try and fit everything as close as possible to a zoom-theory at this point.

Using your example, I made another version of the reworked MSD. The engines and the pulse phaser cannons were placed with respect to the exterior locations shown in the Fact Files schematics. The shuttlebay doesn't work, but it can be rationalized as the shuttle storage room as opposed to the actual bay (seen and mentioned in the DS9 tech manual). The scale should be about right; this is what a 170m Defiant should ideally look like, if it were not for the possibility that every deck is 8-10' tall. It all depends on the size of the actual sets, however.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps