Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Utopia 3?

Author Topic: Utopia 3?
grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What's Utopia 3, and when's it coming?

------------------
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong?"- Jean-Luc Picard

"Fortune Favors the Bold."- Benjamin Sisko

"And so, the warriors, the peacemakers, the helpers, the saviors, the forgotten, and the remembered, they all signed on that data padd and peace was made."- Shannon London-Karkarsku, leader of the Unisist Movement

Captain Alex Herenwhiner,
Transwarp inter-dimension timeship explorer U.S.S. Liberty

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Official UP3 "What the?!" Thread!

Utopia Planitia III will be, upon its completion, an extensive database containing information about the ships of Starfleet. It is the descendant of UP and U2.

It will be up in...well...awhile. There is a LOT of work to be done, and I don't think anyone wants to open it prematurely. But just stick around, and I'm sure you'll learn all sorts of interesting things about it.

And now, in my moderator capacity...you might want to shorten that signature a bit. Perhaps you could rotate those quotes every few days?

------------------
"Breath...keep breathing. I can't do this alone"
--
Radiohead

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ure right...I guess they got a little long.....

------------------
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong?"- Jean-Luc Picard

"Fortune Favors the Bold."- Benjamin Sisko

"And so, the warriors, the peacemakers, the helpers, the saviors, the forgotten, and the remembered, they all signed on that data padd and peace was made."- Shannon London-Karkarsku, leader of the Unisist Movement

Captain Alex Herenwhiner,
Transwarp inter-dimension timeship explorer U.S.S. Liberty

IP: Logged
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope that UP3's creators have learned from the mistakes of the last two, which were *ahem* questionable at best. No offense intended to those involved with the project, but the previous incarnations reminded me strongly of movies like "Independence Day," cool to look at, and loads of fun if you don't care about silly details like believable content.

It wouldn't be so bad if the material simply expanded on canon, or was distinguishable, but in many cases it completely and blatantly contradicted it... we'd get the shockwaves on r.a.s.t. for months afterword, with people claiming tricobalt was the superweapon of the Federation and so forth. And don't get me started on the First Contact ships... =( I'm not even the sort of person that cares about canon, in general... my favorite Trek manual is "Ships of the Star Fleet," for example. However, for the uneducated masses, there has to be a common ground, and canon is the deciding factor that provides it.

That said, with the beautiful site design and graphics quality, UP always had and still has the potential to be a very impressive compendium of Starfleet data, with the right information.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
There will be conjectural info on the site, but it will be strongly emphasixed as such - after all, what we actually know about some classes would go on a postal stamp, while conjectural stuff from the SWDAOs will help pad it out. And we're gonna include all that stuff about the Steamrunner being the next-generation Defiant with a graviton beam because it's become so legendary. 8)
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a legend among us!

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're all aiming for a site that is as "canon" as possible, while avoiding the banality of simply reprinting encyclopedia entries.

Part of the Utopia Planitia "problem," as I understood it, wasn't so much the site itself, but the sometimes...overeager newcomers who would take it as fact. And we were all newbies at one time.

------------------
"Breath...keep breathing. I can't do this alone"
--
Radiohead

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps