Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO: Jenol*n spelling

Author Topic: SWDAO: Jenol*n spelling
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three possible spellings exist for the Sydney class starship that was found crashed on the Dyson Sphere in TNG: "Relics".
1. The Encyclopedia identifies the ship as "USS Jenolen". If "Jenolen" is a proper name, it is an extremely rare one. An Altavista web search yielded nothing but Trek-related hits.
2. The model was labeled "USS Jenolin". The name was too small to be identified in the episode, but there exist some photos of the studio model. There were only a few non-Trek hits for the search term "Jenolin", including the name of an old sailing ship.
3. Considering commonness and familiarity, "USS Jenolan" seems to be the most probable spelling by far, the ship being named for the Jenolan Caves in New South Wales, Australia, some 140km west of Sydney(!)
Generally, there is no reason to invent a name for a starship, assuming that it might have a meaning in the future. Considering the spellings #1 and #2 are "exotic" or even non-existent, the starship was most probably supposed to be named for the Jenolan Caves, and the spelling errors on the model itself and the Encyclopedia are due to the fact that the pronounciation is all the same. The question is which spelling is canon, and unfortunately this cannot be answered by the above considerations. After all, the labeling error could still be explained in a way that "Jenolen" or "Jenolin" might be an alien name or a Terran name that will become important within the next 300 years.

------------------
"The past, the present and the future, they exist as one, they breathe together." (Annorax, VOY: "The Year of Hell")
Ex Astris Scientia

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly certain the Okudagram said Jenolan. . .
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, only the model is actually shown onscreen, which makes it the number one canon. Since models were often seen to be mislabeled with respect to dedication plaques (witness the Sao Paulo/Defiant situation), it is more likely that the dedication plaque (if it exists) agrees with the Encyclopedia. This is only a supposition, however, and until we see clear evidence to support it, I would stick with what was seen onscreen.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but the Okudagram was seen clearly on screen, while the ship's labelling was not. Therfore, by your definition, "Jenolan" is canon...

------------------
"You! Are you smarter than this one?"
-Ambassador Byleth to LaForge regarding Worf, TNG's "Liasons"

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it. Things tend to get spelled differently after three hundred years.

------------------
I was right in the middle of a f*cking reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these goddam things."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it's only that the mention was made while I was posting my reply . Yes, if the Okudagram says Jenolan, and there is a definite source for the name, I'd go with Jenolan.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a photo of the model in a Star Trek book the name is spelled Jenolin, whereas in a caption right next to the photo it's spelled Jenolen.

I guess they didn't know how they wanted to spell it. Since Jenolan is actually something, I'll go with that for now.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited June 30, 1999).]

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

The Okudagram in the beginning of "Relics" is perfectly clear: JENOLAN. Fortunately, it is impossible to mistake an A for an E or an I.

Boris

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps