Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » small ships and ranks

Author Topic: small ships and ranks
Mycon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does a small ship, let's say a sabre, have a full captain (four pips) or just a commander as the highest officer on board? I can't imagine that there is need for a "full" captain for a a crew of 40 people when DS9 with hundreds or even thousands of people just gets a commander (Sisko in the older seasons) as the highest officer. I'd be really pissed off if I was promoted to captain and than get a lousy old freighter with 20 personnel on board

------------------
Mycon

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that each ship above Defiant size usually has a captain in command. There might be exceptions, though. Maybe it's not only the ship's size but also the dregree of independent operation. It is obvious that a tiny Oberth on an important mission beyond the Federation borders should have a captain, while a big cargo ship traveling between Earth and Vulcan might only have a Lt. Cmdr. or Cmdr.

BTW: Was the commanding officer of the Grissom NCC-638 (Esteban?) a captain?

------------------
"The past, the present and the future, they exist as one, they breathe together." (Annorax, VOY: "The Year of Hell")
Ex Astris Scientia

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, he was. I think most ships have a Captain in command, but the size of ship reflects their seniority. A far better indication of the 'importance' of a ship and its crew size comes in the rank of the First Officer - Lt. Cdr. Riker on the Hood, Lt. Cdr. Cavit on Voyager. . . I can't remember if Chakotay is a full Commander or not.

But I do nelieve that smaller ships needn't have Captains in command. Technically, I think Janeway should only be a Commander - but they were so into the idea of having a female Captain. . .

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't some Nebula class starship have a Lt. Cmdr. in command? I forget their name and what ship it was...anyone remember?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sutherland?

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Sutherland did have a Lt. Cdr in command, but I think 359 means the Prometheus (Nebula-class). I've never seen the episode "Second Sight" myself, but from what I hear there was only a Lt. Cdr in command.

And, since we're talking about Lt. Cdr.'s as XO's, don't forget Sisko on the Saratoga and that guy on the Equinox who's name I can't remember at the moment.

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. And the supposed commander of the Prometheus was a Lt. named Piersall, but I doubt he was really the commmander, just the senior bridge officer of that watch. After all, they did have a Commander from DS9 as the Mission Commander, as it were.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's not canon, but the novelization of TNG's "Relics" says that the Jenol(aei)n had a captain in command. Just thought I'd bring it up.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Sisko was the second officer on his ship?

------------------
"You gotta change your signature" -Zilla

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Chakotay being a full commander is a touchy topic. Tread with care.

I thought Sisko was the exceutive officer, but rewatching "Emissary" leads me to wonder if they did mention it.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched "Equinox" again and saw our American Indian commander's rank, it's Lt. Cmdr., the same rank as Tuvok.

------------------
"But I want it that way"

-Backstreet Boys

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought that the seniority of a captain depends on how long they've held the rank.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps