Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An Unresolved Issue

Author Topic: An Unresolved Issue
steamrunner2000
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friends,I have an issue to discuss. It is about ships in star trek games(Starfleet Academy, Starfleet Command, etc.). Should they be considered canon??
Paramount is giving its ok for them, so I consider it canon! Opinions....

------------------
Has anyone seen any swallows around???

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the ships in the games do not conflict with the facts of the films, episodes, and encyclopedias, I feel the ships can be considered canonical for completeness sake. I would not say this about non-Paramount authorized items. I would like to see a full list of ships from the games.
IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. IMHO starships in games fall along the same lines as ships in novels. The novels are authorized by Paramount, but the policy is that only what ever is seen on TV or movies is official.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ships in Paramount-authorised games, books, etc. are considered official. They are merely not canon.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't matter whether it's canon or not. With DS9 writers including references to the animated series the idea that there's a clear line between canon and non-canon has been proved to be rubbish.

The simple rule of thumb is that if it's in a movie or episode (except TAS) then it's canon.

If it's in one of the 'official' books (Encyclopedia, Chronology, TNG TM, DS9 TM) then it's often considered to be 'official' or 'semi-canon'.

Everything else is non-canon. But as someone once said "Just because it's non-canon doesn't mean that it has to be wrong, just that it doesn't have to be right".

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, but you cannot simply mix these in a single file with the canon ships, otherwise people are not going to know that those ships need not be considered in a discussion.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I always say: label your sources and let other people make their own minds up.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

[This message has been edited by Identity Crisis (edited July 01, 1999).]

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*writes it down for his .sig*

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with IDC. Show your sources, and let people base their conclusion on your argument.

To answer your question though, I wouldn't count games as canon as they were not written / constructed by the same team of writers that did the series.

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I guess the real question is whether it was meant to be accurate.

My guess is that the FPS games like Honor Guard are as realistic to Trek as Quake is to real warfare, that is to say not at all. Voyager:Elite force may be interesting however since the levels are supposed to be created straight off the Paramount blueprints of Voyager.

Starfleet Command is based off some Star Trek Battles thing, so it should be fun As for realism, it will probably be as canon as any fan creation. (not very, but close)

Star Trek: New Worlds, no. Almost all of it was created solely for the game.

Star Trek Armada will be as realistic to Star Trek as C&C or Panzer General 2 are to real warfare, pretty realistic but still not there.

I doubt any of the games will truly be accepted as canon, but the point was to make a game and not an encylopedia.

------------------
Game over man, game over! - Marine(Aliens)

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited July 01, 1999).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was checking out 2 new Star Trek Games at Interplay, Starfleet Command and Klingon Academy, and when looking at screen shots, I found something interesting. Both games use almost exactly the same classes of ships, and I mean non-canon ships. From the screen shots alone for Klingon Academy, I got classes like Akula class destroyer, Yamato class experimental battleship, and Ulysses class dreadnaught (which someone pointed out earlier as being in Starfleet Command. It can be seen in the Starfleet Command add in Issue 2 of Star Trek: The Magazine). There is a picture of a fleet size chart which shows about 10 classes or so, with the Yamato being the largest and the Oberth the smallest. Oh, and if your wandering what some of these ships look like, here are some pics:

Akula Class biting the dust:

Yamato Class Battleship:

Ulysses Class Dreadnaught:

Ulysses getting destroyed:

USS Okinawa:

Akula starting a fight:

Akula losing the fight:

USS Lexington:

Federation Starship Recognition Chart:

USS Missouri:

Alright, I know that's a lot, but these screen shots are beautiful. Check Interplay for more

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Alright, that SHOULD work (if it doesn't, someone please fix it)

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited July 01, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, a USS Missouri... And not that bad-looking, either...

------------------
Pierce: "We're back!"
Winchester: "Yes, like a burp from a bad onion..."
-some episode of M*A*S*H that I happened to see

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

------------------

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps