Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Interactive Alien Ship Size Chart (WARNING: HIGHLY VOLATILE MATERIAL) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Interactive Alien Ship Size Chart (WARNING: HIGHLY VOLATILE MATERIAL)
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found it: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/giant-neghvar.jpg

Maybe they inserted the windows afterwards, though.

I think in WotW the VFX people didn't care much about starship sizes. I should have to watch it again and more closely, but I remember the ships were all about the same size (for instance K't'ingas and Vor'chas).

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to tell:
with a deck height of 3.3m the ship is about 1100m long. Compared to the Defiant, it seems even longer, no matter if the latter is 170m or 68m.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd,

Are we talking about this point?

If so, then I also get a size of 1000m using 10' decks. The windows aren't visible on Doug Drexler's drawing, I don't know about the miniature. If you take a look at deck spacing in the DS9TM schematic, it appears as though only five rows were intended to be present in the top half of the marked area. The alternate universe Negh'Var might be a modification/VFX alteration of the existing model, or Doug Drexler's schematics are incorrect. I'm gonna take a look at the Olympic comparisons in AGT now.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited July 07, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited July 07, 1999).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

That's exactly my point. Since I don't think they actually changed the (hardware) model, they could have added the light rows to the completed model shots and just doubled them compared to the windows on the model (if there are any) or (if there are none) the *originally intended* number of decks.

This image from the Star Trek: 30 Years publication doesn't show any windows. I have the original size photo, and couldn't see any windows, either. http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/klingons/neghvarkeel.jpg

Look at the curvature at the hull-to-wing transition. Maybe there are some faint windows: http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/klingons/modvor1.jpg

This is an effect shot with lighted windows (real or computer generated?): http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/klingons/negh-var-bow.jpg

There are a few more pics on this page: http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/klingons/index.html

A few details in Doug Drexler's drawing look different than the model, and maybe he didn't draw windows because he didn't see any.

I would like to see screencaps from WotW. They seem to be the only reliable reference for "our" Negh'Var.

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found two of the ones I mentioned at Star Trek Sound and Vision:

I also found two nice images from "All Good Things", which clearly suggest that this particular version of the Negh'Var is not *that* much bigger than an Olympic:

The Pasteur averages at 244m (range: 220-269m) in my spreadsheet, when compared to the known sizes of Oberth, Intrepid, Const II, Miranda, Const I, Excelsior, Sovereign, Galaxy and Nebula. The second AGT picture seems to indicate that the Negh'Var is pretty close to twice the width of the Pasteur. That's an overall length of 336m. I would guess it could be higher than this given the perspective, but probably not 1,100m.

As for the windows, I think I can see some on the pics you posted, but it is very unlikely that the model contains 14 rows in the "Shattered Mirror" position. Judging by the concentration and the blurring, I would not be so sure that this can be natural lighting, but I could be wrong. There are some additional AGT Negh'Var pictures in the Negh'Var section of Pedro's ship-o-rama site, but nothing too conclusive with regard to the windows.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited July 08, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the AGT scene can probably be ignored, since it was all a Q illusion. He probably didn't bother getting the sizes right, since Piacrd probably wouldn't have known the difference anyway.

And, as for the Olympic, I don't think the encyclopedia is right about it. Assuming the deck height is somewhere between 12 and 13 feet, it is somewhere from 312 to 338m long. Your figure give a deck height of less than 10', which seems a bit low for a hospital ship like the Pasteur.

------------------
"Keep honking: I'm reloading."
-bumber sticker on a friend's truck

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Actually, the deck spacing could be 10' if we assume the upper limit of the Encyclopedia size. Unfortunately, we have no information as yet concerning the relationship between deck heights and ship types, save for the fact that certain smaller ships can have it in the 8-10' range, and that older ships appear to have lower deck heights (this based on a single example: the Constitution). I mean, once we have the 8 feet of walking space, anything is possible in-between.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps