Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Corrosion Weapon (tech)

Author Topic: Corrosion Weapon (tech)
Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I was thinking about something last week while on vacation. Say that you are up against a really valuable ship (in terms of technology) and don't want to risk destroying the ship by using typical weapons.

So you load up your launchers with some corrosion torpedos and fire them. The torpedos spread out and begin concentration all their beam weapons at assigned shield points and collide with the hull. Upon impact, a canister containing an as-of-yet-undetermined substance or energy opens and releases the substance/energy onto the hull, eating away at it and killing the crew by overloading the ship's ability to erect emergency forcefields.

Since standard sensors can determine the hull's makeup, that's not the important part...it's what's inside that is.

So, any ideas/comments? What could the canister contain, an AQS or protomatter? What about anti-matter?

------------------
Don't piss me off -- I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well antimatter would just be like a photon torpedo and I'm still not too sure what protomatter is. (yeah it was in ST:2 but what WAS it?)

If you really wanted to have fun, I wonder if it would be possible to manuver close to the enemy ship and go to warp with a large than normal warp bubble, shearing half of the enemy ship away. How do shields and warp bubbles interact anyways?

------------------
Game over man, game over! - Marine(Aliens)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest small devices that latch onto the hull and burn small holes in it with phaser beams. Several hundred of them, of course. I wonder how much of the hull of a ship has to be destroyed before the force-field generators fail.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps