Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Blast From The Past! 8)

Author Topic: A Blast From The Past! 8)
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to share with you a piece of history. In this thread are the first two ship charts created for Utopia Planitia I and II. These images aren't mine, BTW - I hope Goffy doesn't object.

First off, the original allships.gif. Can you guess what 9 is meant to be? And why it is so wrong?

Next, the second version - moreships.gif. Notice the dodgy quality of the Steamrunner in the pic. . . which is why I modified it myself, in a version that has never been seen since I did it more than a year and a half ago: testmore.jpg.

Old hands - reminisce away! Newbies - scoff at your peril! 8)

------------------
"I am smart! I am smart! s-m-a-t, I mean s-m-a-R-t!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nine is the Norway, obviously...or maybe I'm just imagining it, and it's really just an Akira.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I keep getting timed out, so I can't see the pix.

However, Lee, your sig should read correctly as "I am so smart. I am so smart. S-M-R-T, I mean S-M-A-R-T..." :-)

------------------
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."
-John Lennon, "Imagine"

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, No. 9 is the Norway. Why? Because we knew the names of the new classes long before we knew which ones they were. Consequently, without any diagrams at the time, this was identified as being a different class from what it really is, and therefore must be the Norway. It could have happened to anyone. . . 8)

TSN: Whatever.

------------------
"I am smart! I am smart! s-m-a-t, I mean s-m-a-R-t!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was visiting UP regularly at that time (March 97 or so), but I looked into the forum only occasionally. I remember nothing but one of my entries, when I seemed to be the only one to claim the ship which is seen from the bottom must be an Akira, and the Norway not only looks different, but entirely different. Well, it's history, it's all forgiven By the way, who was the one who always insisted on the Akira being the Norway?

------------------
"The past, the present and the future, they exist as one, they breathe together." (Annorax, VOY: "The Year of Hell")
Ex Astris Scientia

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'twas Brian Barjenbruch. At least he got the Sabre right which is more than anyone else did.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

The First One
Member # 35

Strangely enough, the Norway was seen and noted, of course, but was assumed to be a fifth new ship. It did feature on the FC ships page, named I believe the Viper - or was that one of the TWO other possible ships seen, that both turned out to be Steamrunners (one from an odd angle, the other so obviously a Steamrunner yet people thought it looked different enough to be an entirely separate class). And people thought this was a Constitution!

Pics from Pedro and Stardock Alpha, BTW - much appreciated! 8)

[This message has been edited by The First One (edited July 06, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Always liked the Sabre in the first 2 pics better than the original*

------------------
Wanted: Experienced Kamikaze Pilot

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 06, 1999).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps