Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Issue 4 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Issue 4
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting point in the discussion on the creation of the Captain's yacht. They were conscious of the torpedo launcher being in the same spot. They designed the yacht to fit just under it.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any new production sketches of the Defiant? This is what I have:

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited July 06, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... I believe Galen was talking about the Sovereign, not the Defiant...

------------------
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."
-John Lennon, "Imagine"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue in question has an article on the Defiant, though.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thread was labeled Issue 4, so I assumed it would be the place for Issue 4 related discussion. If the subject is Captain's Yacht, then the title should be Captain's Yacht, right?

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talked to Mike Okuda on America Online about the Captain's Yacht or Gig and he said that it was already built in the ship during FC, and that the torpedo launcher is still there. Anyway, the Enterprise-E has 4 foward topedo launchers, the two where the yacht is and the other two under the deflector dish.

------------------
"...the sky's the limit."

Picard's last words in "All Good Things..."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris: I glanced through the issue, and I don't think I saw any sketches that you don't already have. Once I buy it I'll be able to tell you for sure.

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Thanks. As far as the Captain's Yacht is concerned, Mike Okuda's comments are interesting because John Eaves doesn't mention it at all in that long Ent-E discussion in TNG: Sketchbook: The Movies.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, doesn't the Enterprise only have 1 torpedo launcher where the Yacht it, not 2?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's what i thought too. I know i have a rather large and high detail studio model pic that shows one large round tube above the yacht. not two

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been known that they were concious of the fact that they were in the smae place for a while. In the "Making of Insurrection" book, there are some sketches of how it works together.

------------------

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris, It has the first three pictures you linked, plus a large color drawing of the Defiant's final seen from the top, forward, and starboard sides, and a CGI image.

The side-bar on the CGI image page mentions that the model has stayed the same size yet there has been many discussions on how big the vessel actually is. The production team finally settled on four decks and a standard crew of 40.

On the Intrepid class: It states that the nacelle pylons are down for impulse, up for warp--any warp, slow or fast. The mag doesn't say that the nacelles move up for high warp, just warp. This begs the question: Why have them fold down at impulse when they are not being used for propulsion? The mind boggles. Clearly this is a mistake both on the show and in the mag. I do believe it was once mentioned that they move up for high warp speeds to be subspace "green".

Maybe I should email the mag. . .
------------------
I was right in the middle of a gnikcuf reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these goddam things."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

[This message has been edited by Cargile (edited July 12, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always assumed that Voyager's nacelles are constantly making inflight corrections to the warp field, but that these are of an exceedingly minute nature. A few centimeters here, a few there. So we never actually see it.

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that too, I assumed that the nacelles could pivot to different positions depending on warp fields etc.

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[From The Land of Schlock. A site documenting 47s]

"First TV Guide said it, then press releases said it, and apparently the writer's bible says it, but the crewmembers themselves have never said it onscreen. The adjustable nacelles on the Voyager allegedly prevent damage to the space-time continuum (a la "Force of Nature") at speeds above warp 4.7."

Just thought I'd point that out.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps