Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Delta Flyer problem (possible spoilers $) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Delta Flyer problem (possible spoilers $)
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found a new problem regarding the Delta Flyer. But this is with its armament, not its size.

"Extreme Risk"--Photonic missiles from black things just forward of bussards

"Thirty Days"--Photonic missiles and phasers from who knows where

"Dark Frontier"--Photonic missiles from rear launchers that look just like the forward ones.

no problems yet...

Voyager cutaway poster--they call the photonic missile launchers phasers (uh oh) along with the black thing behind the bussard (which the latter is ok with me), also gives it a micro torpedo launcher underneath the nose (which is purely conjectural).

I'm just about to disregard the poster when...

Issue 4 pg. 110--Photonic missile launchers look like phasers (uh oh), and black thing behind bussards do not.

So, here's what I think:
Photonic Missile launchers--4, two infront of each bussard, two in the back above the door.
Phasers--3, one behind each bussard, one underneath horizontally like Voyager.
Micro Torpedo launchers--0

but i still can't explain the pic in the back of issue 4.

Comments?

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't say anything until I've seen that picture.

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here, but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the picture Altair

Now this should help in our little discussion

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say they are both standard phaser strips, judging by this picture. I must add that I surprise myself by saying this.....

The only thing I can think of, is that is some sort of 2-in-1 thing

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I found a total of 9 of these 'phaser strips' or whatever they are, and something I think are either also 'phaser strips' (one on each side) or just shadows.

There is also a possibility that the aft-ventral 'phaser strips' shown here are the aft landing gear, with the forward landing gear being above the V in Ventral.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 07, 1999).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that thing next to the rear door is just a shadow I think, and those two things parallel to each other underneath are landing pads. And that one you called a phaser strip-well I'm pretty sure I saw a photonic missile come out of it.

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

So that brings us to 7 weapon locations, which are either phaser strips, or photonic missile launchers or both. And possibly 1 or 2 forward micro torpedo launcher(s), if you believe the cutaway diagram.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, could someone tell me what the difference is between a "photonic missile" and a photon torpedo?

------------------
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."
-John Lennon, "Imagine"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The photonic missle is similar to the holographic doctor and the photon torpedo is similar to the quantum torpedo.

------------------
"...the sky's the limit."

Picard's last words in "All Good Things..."

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the missiles are held together with photons or something?

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan
www.pyros.org

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I THINK it is more like a phaser cannon then a missile.

------------------

Black Knight
Member # 134

I've been looking over some of my recorded voyagers and this is what I found:

In 'Dark Frontier,' when the Delta Flyer engages into transwarp, both of the dark areas infront of and behind the bussard are phasers. When the Delta Flyer disengages from transwarp, another phaser can be seen ventrally. And when the Flyer is flying through the Borg Unimatrix complex with its butt towards us, those aft ones are phasers as well. Also when the DF engages into transwarp, an indention is noticeable infront of the lower hull.

So, I think that the Delta Flyer has 7 phaser arrays.
Now the question is, is the launcher under the nose a photon torpedo launcher, micro torpedo launcher, or a photonic missile launcher. And where did those photonic missiles come from on 'Extreme Risk'.

If anyone could get screencaps, that would be awesome.

oh, and the Delta Flyer DOES have retractable nacelles!
I saw them, when you see the close up in Dark Frontier when it goes to transwarp, and when it is being shot at by the queen's ship.

------------------

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photonic missiles are another treknophrase, of course, however I suppose if you'd like to explain it somehow I could try.

Missiles are usually projectiles of some sort, so particle emissions are ruled out if we take the name literally.

The difference between a torpedo and a missile is...well, planetary usage. I am going to assume that these are simple micro torpedoes that use some sort of Borg technology - this was stated in "Extreme Risk".

------------------
' *Bludgeons Antag* '
Frank G, seriously injuring one of the Forums most valued members.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

*Can't wait until he can see 'Dark Frontier'*

I'll check 'Extreme Risk'.

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I think I found it!!

The phaser strip has a small gap in it, which is the EXACT same spot where the photonic missiles come from in 'Extreme Risk' (red arrow). I also marked a possible new phaser strip on the botton of the nacelle at the same spot as the one on top of the nacelle (blue arrow). If that is true, we'll have 9 'weapon strips' !!

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps