Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Phasers in Warp

Author Topic: Phasers in Warp
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I was watching one of my clips for "Message in a Bottle", and saw that the Nebula chasing the Prometheus, and the Prometheus itself were using their Phasers while in warp! IIRC, phasers can't be used in warp because of the light speed barrier. The only explanation I can give is that the Federation has somehow managed to put subspace field emitters around their phaser arrays.

Does anybody know of any other occasion where this might have happened?

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Nebula in that episode also fired phasers at warp.

Voyager fired phasers while at low warp in "Basics, Part I", as well.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there some FTL phaser firing in TFatGR?

------------------
"Merde!"
-commander of Napoleon's army, upon learning that the Duke of Wellington's forces had received assistance and were requesting his surrender

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$some wee bitty "Treachery, faith, and the Great River" spoiler$$

Yup. The runabout fired phasers at the Jem'Hadar bug, and something happened. Also, phased polaron beams must work at FTL speeds, as well, as per "TFatGR".

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phasers at warp? Well, there was that instance in "The Nth Degree" during The Next Generation's run.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phasers get fired at warp all the time. The common technobabble solution is that this works the same way transport at warp works. That is, you have to put your warp field in synch with that of your target. Well, that's my solution, anyway.

------------------
"Have you ever seen a bloody egg? Glass in hand, laying up in bed?"
--
They Might Be Giants

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute. . . I don't see how they can use transporters at warp. We're told that all that is needed to do so is for source and destination to match velocities. But can they seriously expect us to believe that they can punch a signal through their warp field, across normal/warped space and through another warp field? If they can manange that sort of feat, mere force fields and other interference-type plot points they use to block transporters can hardly be valid either.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Sshhh... We're not supposed to know that.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, as I understand it, what's actually going on is that they're merging warp fields. So there isn't any field to punch through, because the other ship is inside the same field as you.

The problem is that any normal ship isn't going to let you fly up and slip inside its warp field like that. But a Borg cube is hardly a normal ship, and they don't really care whether you beam over or not. Not at first, anyway.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understood it, you had to be matching speeds, and at a closer distance to your target than normal to merge the warp fields.

------------------
Right, cheers, thanks a lot-Patsy Stone "Ab-Fab"

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 TM says on page 84

"Recent developments in subspace technology have pushed the phaser into the FTL [=Faster than Light] arena, notably the ACB [=Annular Confinement Beam]-jacketed beam device"

------------------
USS Allegiance NCC-74813

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/2460/

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, does that mean it's easier to board a Federation starship? And what about the shields that the Enterprise-E uses, can you beam through it?

Wait a second, nevermind about the Enterprise since I just saw my "Star Trek: First Contact" video...

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were not in warp when the Borg beamed aboard in "First Contact". Phasers and transporters at warp are just bad writting, then come up with an explaination later cause so many people called us on it.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, phasers have been fired at warp speeds since TOS days. As for transporters, the writers went to great lengths to explain how such a thing was possible. Now you can assign whatever quality to that writing you'd like, but the fact is that the explanation for it was present from the very beginning.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps