Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Intrepids Warp Capability? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Intrepids Warp Capability?
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing this class for UP3, but I don't have a Tech Manuel or any info yet on the class so I have a discussion to start.

Can an Intrepid go to warp if the "motors" that move the warp engines are broken? I would think this effects the warp field around the ship. (?)

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited July 29, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can go to warp, but it is either 'not subspace save' or it limits the maximum warp speed.

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would think the only problem if the nacelles won't go up would be that going to warp would disrupt subspace. I doubt that it will limit the max. warp speed of any Intrepid Class ship. But I'm not sure what problems would occur if the nacelles won't go down, maybe the only problem would be that B'elana must manually each time deactivate the warp field or create a subroutine that would do it.

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered... Why not just leave them up?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I can think of is that the impuls-engines won't work.....

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because there'd be a warp field just twenty metres beside them, you mean?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

No: I mean when you leave the nacelle in the upward position. I think in that case the impuls-engines won't work right.

------------------

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the Intrepid's warp pods "up", the impulse engines fire along a different axis, presumably, the "down" position allows the impulse engine to fire along the ship's centerline, center of mass, etc. I think Sternbach said somewhere that he had always intended that the warp pylons move upward at different angles relative to the warp speed that the ship is travelling. I'm sure we'll learn more if and when the VOYTM comes out.
Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that is relative to the old Klingon Bird of preys, and how their nacells moved accordingly.

------------------
Right, cheers, thanks a lot-Patsy Stone "Ab-Fab"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The warp drive on a Bird of Prey is located in the aft section. The wings only contain disruptor cannons.

------------------
"Have you ever seen a bloody egg? Glass in hand, laying up in bed?"
--
They Might Be Giants

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I e-mailed the Trek magazine about this warp pylon problem because they claim that the nacelles move up for all warp speeds which counters older claims that they move up at speeds greater than warp 5. My responce was a thank you note. No doubt a bot reply. I really don't expect a reply in the mag--its a bit technical. I did point out that having the nacelles move for up for all speeds and not set in a fixed position was like designing a swing-wing aircraft and making it subsonic only. What's the point in going through all the trouble?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always imagined the wings' main purpose in moving up was for atmospheric flight and landing.

Of course, that begs the question of why bring them down at all. The only thing I can think of, and I think the magazine mentions this, is that it brings the disruptors closer together...

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Er...I was talking about the Bird of Prey, though, which isn't what Cargile was talking about, not that I realized that until after I had posted.

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I have some pics somewhere that show the Intrepid's nacelles at different angles...

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this does you any good now bryce, but...
http://kcohn.simplenet.com/alidarjarok/voyager/hunters/Hunt06.jpg

http://kcohn.simplenet.com/alidarjarok/voyager/hopeandfear/Hope21.jpg

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited September 15, 1999).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps