Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Antimatter Nacelles

Author Topic: Antimatter Nacelles
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While watching Star Trek: The Animated Series today on TV Land, there was an episode called "One of our Planets is Missing". The Enterprise is running out of Antimatter fuel, so they decide to cut some antimatter off the inside of a living being they are stuck inside. Scotty sticks the antimatter inside a containment box, and runs to the 'antimatter nacelle'. Kirk and Scotty are then shown INSIDE the nacelle. As people can see on the Enterprise cutaway's of the nacelle, there are large cone shaped devices running along the entire nacelle. Scotty and Kirk are running between this row of cones. Then, Scotty sticks the antimatter fuel inside a container INSIDE THE NACELLE. As some people here theorized, matter and antimatter are storred inside the nacelles, and the reaction took place inside engineering (wherever that is). Well, it appears as if this is true. Even though TAS isn't canon, this still opens up a new area in the understanding of the Enterprise's

Any comments?

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blinks* Antimatter creature? Cut it off with what? And, er...how did this antimatter avoid blowing the thing all to hell? Unless it was on an antimatter planet, in which case how did Kirk and co. avoid being blown all to hell?

------------------
"Have you ever seen a bloody egg? Glass in hand, laying up in bed?"
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like something that can be easily dismissed to me...

------------------
"Essentially, a great rock in space."
-Spock, describing the Regula planetoid, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, I vaguely remember this, not that I ever saw the episode but I did read the short novelisation of the episode. In the book the creature is some vast space bourne lift-form that eats planets. Spock realises that it's actually sentient and disuades it from eating a Federation colony, blah blah usual plot-line. The creature uses antimatter to 'digest' the pieces of rock keeping the reaction separate in the biological equivalent of a containment field.

The interesting part though is the discription of the 'antimatter nacelle'. The story claims the insides of one whole nacelle of the ship is made entirely of anti-matter; ("engineering in negativity being the Federation's greatest achievement"-do I have a good memory for quotes or what?) except for a walkway, turbo-lift entrance and a re-fueling slot, all kept levitated my magnetic fields.

I guess that back in the good-ol' days when these scripts was being written, somebody just thought, the ship is powered by matter and antimatter, it has two nacelles, ergo.......

I also remember thinkng at the time that this plot had holes in it big enough to drive a starship through and was basically just a load of !*&%�.

TSN's suggestion sounds about right.

IP: Logged
JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, I vaguely remember this, not that I ever saw the episode but I did read the short novelisation of the episode. In the book the creature is some vast space bourne lift-form that eats planets. Spock realises that it's actually sentient and disuades it from eating a Federation colony, blah blah usual plot-line. The creature uses antimatter to 'digest' the pieces of rock keeping the reaction separate in the biological equivalent of a containment field.

The interesting part though is the discription of the 'antimatter nacelle'. The story claims the insides of one whole nacelle of the ship is made entirely of anti-matter; ("engineering in negativity being the Federation's greatest achievement"-do I have a good memory for quotes or what?) except for a walkway, turbo-lift entrance and a re-fueling slot, all kept levitated my magnetic fields.

I guess that back in the good-ol' days when these scripts was being written, somebody just thought, the ship is powered by matter and antimatter, it has two nacelles, ergo.......

I also remember thinkng at the time that this plot had holes in it big enough to drive a starship through and was basically just a load of !*&%�.

TSN's suggestion sounds about right.

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps