Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Class of USS Potemkin

Author Topic: Class of USS Potemkin
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might surprise you, but I don't think the USS Potemkin NCC-18253 is Excelsior class. It's actually Ambassador class! You may be thinking "Well, what is this boy smoking?!" NOTHING! (right now, at least)

In the episode "Second Chances" (you know, the duplicate Riker ep), the senior staff if in the observation lounge talking over what caused the second Riker to appear. LaForge goes over to the screen behind Picard, and it shows the planets surface, a starship (the Potemkin), and two transporter beams. Well, it's an Ambassador class starship on that screen! Not an Excelsior! Now, if I remember correctly, the Potemkin has never actually be seen, only mentioned. The only possiblity I know of the Potemkin being seen is in "Ethics", but I don't have the tape, so you folks can check. The registry also fits into the Ambassador's registry sceheme.

So, I ask you, is the USS Potemkin NCC-18253, Ambassador class?

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw "Second Chances" recently. The ship in the display looked like an Ambassador-class to me too. Though only 3 ships of that class has had a registry lower than 26000. Two begin with 10, the other begin 1701-C.

With the Excelsior-class they have registries in the 13000's and 14000's.

The ship in the display might of just been there to represent the Potemkin. Though I'm open to suggestions.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would they have used an Ambassador diagram for an Excelsior? If the computer displayed an Ambassador, the ship was an Ambassador.

------------------
"Essentially, a great rock in space."
-Spock, describing the Regula planetoid, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was this episode before or after the first time we saw the Ambassador Class onscreen in "Yesterday's Enterprise" because that may explain it?

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike: After.

I still don't see why Starfleet computer simulations mightn't just use a default 'Federation Ship' icon when displaying something. I mean, so long as the ship's class has nothing to do with what's going on onscreen, it might make more sense to use an overhead silhouette that at a glance tells you it's clearly a Fed Ship, and perhaps the Ambassador has an overhead silhouette that is less likely to be confused with the ships of any other race or something.

------------------
"You're not quite evil enough. You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil, just one calorie, not evil enough."
-The good Doctor and his son, Scot

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it's possible that they would use a default ship display but not very likely. It seems very un-Federation of them, they are generally pretty specific about things like that. Don't you think?

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tom. That was exactly what I was trying to say.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you think about it, any time we've seen a generic 'Starfleet-ship-here' symbol on the screen it's always been the comm-badge isignia. So if they were going to use something generic why not that?

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Hobbes
Member # 138

You mean in computer layouts of battles? I think the commbadge would be easier to represent Federation forces instead of silhouettes for each ship. Like Dominion forces being represent by the symbols of the Founders.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall the scene correctly, the display in "Second Chances" shows a simulation, a try to reconstruct the transporter accident. So the ship icon represents a certain simulation model. Since every ship (transporter) type can be supposed to have a different model, I don't think they would use a generic Federation ship symbol, unlike what is shown on battle status displays.

When I'm doing a circuit simulation, I wouldn't use a NAND symbol for a NOR gate, either. Even if I know the used symbol is only a placeholder or generic symbol, some time they will be confused.

------------------
"Since we know that the frames are 1/24 of a second, this means that the time delay between the two frames above is 0.83 seconds. If Alderaan was roughly Earth-like in size, then the first frame shows a superheated debris cloud roughly 17500 km wide, with large trails of debris that extend to a width of roughly 31000 km."
Mike Wong
Ex Astris Scientia

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sure in some time there will be an Ambassador Class USS Potemkin. Hopefully, it will have a correct registry number.

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the Potemkin in "Encounter at Farpoint"? It's been a long time since I've seen that one...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was the Hood, actually.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps