Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Possible ways to fight the Borg

Author Topic: Possible ways to fight the Borg
KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't know if this would work against the Borg or not. Load an old ship that Starfleet has decommissioned or something with pods of antimatter. Fill every room and corridor with the pods. During the attack, launch the ship. The ship would be computer controlled by another ship. Don't let it attract any attention. Have a few other ships near by for cover. When the Borg aren't looking go warp 1 into the cube and all the Starfleet ship get out of the area maximum warp.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're ALWAYS looking.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, you could just send a huge bomb along their way.

BTW, going to warp 1 wouldn't help...you'd need to be going a sufficient "real" speed for momentum to have an effect.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually find that singing Abba songs is enough to embarrass Swedes, enough to leave my system, screaming.

Waving an RCP-90 around the place is enough to terrify my little sisters in Computer Land. Try it.
------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited August 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited August 09, 1999).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, don't you be dissing Mista Bj�rn, dog!!!

------------------
Hickory Is Nice!!!
(Jem 'Hadar Wash-out)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They never got around to using those Naanites suggested in BoBW..........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible ways to fight the Borg are what we do best here at the Starfleet Military Reserves Fleet. The biggest weaknes the Borg have is that to understand a technology, they must assimilate it, and once assimilated they may transmit that knowledge to the Collective. Preventing that assimilation and transmission is the key to defeating the Borg.
How do we do this? Thanks to technology brought back by the USS Voyager, we can know detect and calculate a transwarp conduit being used by the Borg. The next trick is to both get the Borg out of transwarp and prevent communication back to the Collective. The best way to do this is with an unstable Omega Molecule (exotic matter made from strange and charmed quarks or some other equally bizzare prion particles). Sure the Omega molecule caused great subspace damage, and I'm sure you are wondering how to control such a devastating explosion. Easy. The explosion is yielded with a collasping subspace bubble that can control the destruction to a radius a fraction of an AU. Of course, the explosion not only destroys subspace, but will take out a few cubes as well. Some cubes will survive. They always do. So fire a nice volley of Nemesis Devices--Genesis Devices not geared to create anything out of what it disentergrates. If that is not enough, an Artificial Quantum Singularity missile should suck a few to God know's where. For damaged Cubes that don't require an overkill of firepower, the regular quantum or photon torpedoes will do the trick.
And rememeber! No suspace means no transporter action (or at least it should), this means no Borg can get on your ship. The Borg's only hope is to maneuver to a non-null zone where they can use subspace based technology. Our job is to shake our fingers and say, "No, no you don't. You should have stayed home in the Delta quadrant baby!"

You don't need any new technology to stop them, just use the technology you have in innovative ways.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother with anything else after the Omega Molecule? It was established that drones are interconnected via subspace signals similar to transporter beams in "The Best of Both Worlds." If transporters don't work, wouldn't those drones that survive be freed from the Collective?

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily. First Contact gives us a glimpse into the Borg's contigency plans in such an instance. That is, they are capable of establishing a new Collective providing they have the proper "nexus." At least, that is my interpretation. There was a Queen proxy on the cube in FC, which allowed the Borg to maintain the Collective when they were thrust into the past.

So, while knocking them out of subspace is a good start, it's really best to make sure you finish them off.

------------------
"Hey Mr. Boo, fly away home. Your house is so lovely, your children so nice."
--
Hello (The Band)

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that would work Commander Paris, because you would be basically building one BIGASS torpedo. And the borg have adapted to Federation Matter-Antimatter-Explosion weapons like torpedos. ...... Just a thought *L*

------------------
...Approaching the big 250...

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...*bullets*...*bullets*...

Just thinking

Of course, only for drones.

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since the Borg have personal shields that can adapt to phaser fire, could they not just used them as conventional shields to a torpedo when it's personal shields to a bullet?

That time in First Contact just caught them by suprise, really.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Elim your telling me in the 1 billion year history of the Borg no one has ever fired a mass driver weapon at them, that makes no sense, mass drivers should be the most common weapon in existance, maily because they are so simple to consturct, maintain, and repair. Also with fun tech like superconducting magnets you have the KE of a round nearly match the KE on an energy weapon. Honestly either the Borg can't adapt to this weapons (unlikely), or it was a writer's ignoring a "minor detail" because it would look cool (highly likely).

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not telling you a thing. Berman, Braga, Moore, and Frakes were telling you that.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe the're not.

Think of it from the Borg's point of view. They are only interested in assimilating 'advanced' species. Such cultures tend to use energy weapons. As these are what the Borg encounter most often, that's what they are designed to be most resistant to and what they can adapt to most readily. Perhaps adapting to new weapons is not such a trivial matter as it appears, its not that the Borg cannot adapt to projectile weapons but they don't regard it as being an efficient use of resources. Picard kills two with a machine gun and Worf gets one with a bat'leth, but loses like these are a minor inconvenience to the Borg as a whole. Should KE weapons become a serious threat or obstacle then they will adapt to it, other than that they're not worth bothering with.

------------------
Cogito Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am not a politician) - Rene Descartes

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps