Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The "Sphere"

Author Topic: The "Sphere"
Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you've wondering why I'm so vague in my subject line (we've seen our share of spheres in the Star Trek world), read on and you'll understand.

Only recently, I happened across a spelling of the "Dyson" Sphere from the TNG episode "Relics". I would like to a take a vote as to if you think it actually is a Dyson Sphere or a Dyson's Sphere. The former is certainly a more popular version, yet one cannot discount the possibility that the latter spelling could also be used. Over the course of the history, many noted scientists have had their names attached to a certain piece of invention, discovery, etc. (a.k.a. Fermat's Theorum), signalling posession. Yet on the other hand, there is equal support for the other version (a.k.a. Bunsen Burner).

In the case of the "Sphere", the "s" on the object that follows the name directly may interfere with the posessive "s" that may or may not follow "Dyson". The sound is the same either way you say it.

Thoughts?

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

[This message has been edited by Starship Voyager (edited August 24, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Starship Voyager (edited August 24, 1999).]

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only ever seen it called a "Dyson Sphere." It's like an "O'Neil Colony" space habitat - the other version suggests there's only one.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I can't hear someone saying "the Dyson's Spheres" as much as "the Dyson Spheres."

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited August 24, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't think it really matters which one you call it. It makes sense either way. Call it whichever you like. :-)

------------------
"There's someone in my head, but it's not me..."
-Pink Floyd, "Brain Damage"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps