Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miranda Deflector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Miranda Deflector
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the Miranda-class have a navigational deflector? It should. Anyway, I was thinking it might have a deflector array in the front of deck 10. This would make it a part of the main sensor array. The deflector and sensor arrays are combined on other ships.

This would also mean that the Constitution refit and Excelsior have a dedicated saucer deflector (like the Galaxy and Sovereign).

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked the same question a while back. It's supposed to be those things on top the saucer. I know someone has a pic showing what I'm talking about.

------------------
Inspected by #10
Federation Starship Datalink

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean. Those things that look the same as the ones from the outside of the Refit deflector dish. I'm curious, where did that theory originate from?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From before ye were even thought up, laddie!

Seriously, it goes back to Avenger-era speculation, I believe.

------------------
"Something I can't comprehend. Something so complex and couched in its equation. So dense that light cannot escape from."
--
Soul Coughing

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But where is it at on the Constellation? Or the Oberth? There is nothing external similar to what the Miranda has.

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep asking questions like that and you may have a little accident on your way to work tomorrow...

------------------
-Smooth as an androids butt, eh Data?
-Yes, and remarkably similar in appearance!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Constellation has a whole host of doodads and whatsits and thingamajigs. Pick a couple.

As for the Oberth, and a few others, not every ship needs a big swiss army deflector. Navigational shields work fine in most conceivable situations anyway.

------------------
"Something I can't comprehend. Something so complex and couched in its equation. So dense that light cannot escape from."
--
Soul Coughing

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the Miranda's deflector array is on the underside of it saucer. It is the same type of deflector array as the constitution class' secondary array.

------------------
"Can I have a hug?"
-Dr. Evil

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

A reference photo.

I presume you're talking about the object in the center of the saucer there? That's the main navigational sensor array, IIRC.

------------------
--
Soul Coughing

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That thing is probably also on the constellation class, I think that's the deflector.

------------------
Altair's Sci-Fi Homepage

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, not according to over a decade of fandom. But hey, if you want to strike out on your own uncharted path, feel free.

------------------
--
Soul Coughing

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what are these (bottom of the picture):

------------------
Altair's Sci-Fi Homepage

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 29, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Grb, Sol, Altair: That's the thing I was talking about (the front of deck 10). It is the sensor array but that supports my/our theory, rather than disproving it. Most ships have their main sensor embedded into the deflector array. The Defiant and Ent-D especially come to mind.

The Constellation-class has that thing on the bottom as well. The Refit and Excelsior would use it as a secondary deflector (for when the saucer is separated).

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

So it's either those two deck 5 knobs or the deck 10 sensor array. Or, could it be both?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dax (edited August 29, 1999).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what purpose do those things serve on the Constitution's deflector dish, since there are 3 of them around it. Since they don't seem to 'glow' or anything, I think they are just sensors, and the Deck 10 think is where the deflector dish is located

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps