Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » I'll get smited by Frank for this, but...

Author Topic: I'll get smited by Frank for this, but...
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...maybe the Defiant is 170 meters, its just travelling at 0.708c.

This comment brought to you by the Theory of Relativity and the concept of length contraction.

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come on, I never smite people. I bludgeon! *bludgeons Krenim*

------------------
Frank's Home Page, which you've never seen before and want to visit right now

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ow!

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sends Krenim into one corner to write "I will not flog a dead horse" 1000 times; Frank into another corner to write "I will not bludgeon Krenim" 5000 times; Sternbach into another corner to write "I will think before I arbitrarily assign ship lengths" 1,000,000 times* I have one more corner left - behave yourselves, the rest of you. . . }B)
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it length *contraction* at relativistic speeds?

Defiant fly-by: http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/mmedia/specrel/lc.html

Anyway:

In the next exciting episode, F. "Defiant" Gerratana will shrink the Krenim Imperium by moving it away from the galactic core.

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd, that's it. And if it's 170 metres, as they say, and in the FX it's 120 metres, then the Defiant is always moving at 0.708c. ("Fast little ship." "Little?" )

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see o:

It *seems* 170m*1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)=120m, while it *is* 170m. This is why the ship has multiple pairs of impulse engines

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But now we're giving the FX people too much credit. It scares me.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps