Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Is this ths class name of the Insurrection Scout?? ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is this ths class name of the Insurrection Scout?? ($$$)
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon is the shows (not the animated one, though, although that's iffy) and the movies, nothing more. That's universal canon. Personally, people can accept individual things as their private official information, but it remains non-canon.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't the actual defintion of what's canon be whatever TPTB tell the writers is canon? I mean, that's the entire point of "canon": it's the things that cannot be contradicted by the show/movie writers (at least, not intentionally).

------------------
"I think you people have proven something to the world: that a half a million kids can get together and have three days of fun and music� and have nothing but fun and music."
-Max Yasgur; Woodstock, NY; August, 1969

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At any rate, no, the scout vessel is not Venture class according to canon. But feel free to refer to it as such if you'd like.

(Personally, as it seems to conflict with the USS Venture, I'm more then willing to discard it. If this information did come from some official source, such as cut dialouge from the script, or production notes, or something, you would think it would have made its way into the latest encyclopedia.)

------------------
"Like I told you, you are concentric in your form. When it's cold you've got yourself to keep you warm."
--
John Linnell

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the U.S.S Venture was seen in 'Way of the Warrior', so I think that this conflict blows the Armada reference out of the water.

The game looks cool, BTW.

------------------
"Fire, Fire!" said Mrs O'Dwyer.
"Where, where?" said Mrs O'Hare.
"Down in the town." said Mrs Brown.
"Lord bless us and save us"
said old Mrs Davis.
"I never knew a herring was a fish."

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, the USS Venture was first seen in "WotW". As far as I know, the ship is still in service. So it's unlikely the scout is Venture-class.

Picard said the Ent-E has 24 decks in FC. Only Worf's replacement erred with the 26 comment(don't ask me why). Does that make both figures "canon"?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not if we assume the security guy was an idiot... :-)

------------------
"I think you people have proven something to the world: that a half a million kids can get together and have three days of fun and music� and have nothing but fun and music."
-Max Yasgur; Woodstock, NY; August, 1969

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But do not TPTB only maintain the shows and movies are canon, anyway?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They maintain that the shows and movies are canon, and then ignore them as they see fit. But that is the offical line, Shows and Movies only, are canon.

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
minor $
The Venture was in "Tears of the Prophets" as well

------------------
"Can you pull in the leviathan with a fishhook or tie down his tongue with a rope? Can you put a cord through his nose or pierce his jaw with a hook? Will he keep begging you for mercy? Will he speak to you with gentle words? Will he make an agreement with you for you to take him as your slave for life? Can you make a pet of him like a bird or put him on a leash for your girls? Will traders barter for him? Will they divide him up among the merchants? Can you fill his hide with harpoons or his head with fishing spears. If you lay a hand on him, you will remember the struggle and never do it again!" -Job 41:1 - Job 41:8

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets think about this for a second, is it really that unacceptable to consider a venture class scout? The scout really is just a new runabout that goes faster and looks cooler. Somebody mention before that only Sisko names his runabouts, so isn't it safe to assume that the class names of small scouts and runabouts really don't conflict with ship naming schemes.

INCOMING!!!!!!(Runs for Cover)

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Well, the DS9 runabouts were all Danube-class, so Starfleet does have designations for the classes, at least.

------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately I have failed to get my point across. There is no dictionary definition of canon. What�s "universally" canon is what you think of the series. Most of you are talking about it like its real life. In case you haven't noticed, it's not. The word canon itself just defines what you think is worthy of the trek name. In my opinion, all the games and books a person reads becomes integrated into the whole of the Star Trek Universe. The people that read a book and say "that never happened" are just weird, they don�t realize that nothing on Trek happened or is gonna happen. Canon or not. Its science fiction. By the common definition of canon, it doesn�t any fiction. Anyway, the more and more information and stoies based in the trek universe you experience, the better the entire franchise gets. Who even cares if it fits in, as long as you have fun with it, it doesn�t matter. :O)

-Wes

------------------
Wes Button
The United Federation Uplink
[email protected]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there has to be a universal definition of canon, or else nobody would agree on anything.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
Noah Adams: "Well, some of them are really quite understandable. 'Montana is a leg.' is..."
John Linnell: "...it's grammatical. It's not true, and it doesn't strictly make sense, and..."

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By now we should all be able to agree that there isn't a universal definition of canon Lately this subject has been thoroughly debated across multiple threads.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

The universal definition of canon is on-screen evidence, no matter what. You can pesonally choose to "ignore" or "add" certain aspects to what you consider canon, however.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps