Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Intrepid Warp Core Ejection $$ (Graphics Intense) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Intrepid Warp Core Ejection $$ (Graphics Intense)
JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember starting a thread about this very topic a while ago. My question was exactly that; why dump the entire core when the problem would be the anti-matter in the storage pods?

I've just remembered, although it was never seen on screen, in 'Contagion', Geordi has a line something like "as you know in case of trouble the anti-matter pods can be ejected" (referring to the USS Yamato), "we know that ejection was started, then the computer halted the process and dropped all the containment fields". I haven't seen the epidode for some time so I'm quoting from memory.

A pity it wasn't shown. the explosion itself was quite spectacular-a little more realistic than we've seen more recently (except of course for the dissolving skin on the saucer).

[This message has been edited by JEM (edited September 13, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the answer here is simple. The antimatter pods aren't usually the problem.

The pods are designed to contain antimatter. That's it. (Ok, so they funnel it into the injectors too.)

The warp core is designed to take this antimatter and smash it into matter, producing huge amounts of energy.

Which seems more likely to develop a problem? The (relatively) simple pods, or the complex reaction chamber?

------------------
"Recombination, then Viacom; Safeway."
--
Soul Coughing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. When they say they are losing antimatter containment, which is more likely? That all the pods lost containment at the same time, or that the core did?

------------------
"Maybe they're trying to breed them..."
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps