Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » mmm ?

Author Topic: mmm ?
Tachy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are Voyager's ashtrays capable of reaching warp 6.3 ?

------------------
The SCIFI-ART.COM website:
http://www.scifi-art.com

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rolls eyes*
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*scratches head*

Uhm....

*scratches head again*

Maybe if you stick'em on a torpedo??

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea how boring mid-September can be until I came to the forum today.

*goes to sleep*

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wonders what kind of question this is*

Why would Voyager have asktrays in the first place?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager is highly unlikely to possess such a thing as an ashtray. It's been clearly established that smoking is out in the 24th century when Paris says to that woman in season one that they'd abandoned it a long time ago. Furthermore, we have never seen smokers in Star Trek. The only evidence of smoking in Star Trek is the No Smoking sign in the simulator from Star Trek II, and that can be rationalized as a joke by a crewmember.

Now, yes, you're probably going to find ashtrays in someone's personal historical collection on Voyager, but as for smoking - very, very unlikely.

Otherwise, I assume that Voyager's ashtrays are quite capable of reaching Warp 6.3 every time Voyager reaches Warp 6.3. They could even be equipped with a miniature warp sustainer engine so that the speed can be maintained for a while. Otherwise, I shudder at the possibility of warp field generators and propulsion on the level of microchips.

Boris (just joking)

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris is scaring me...

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps Tachy is referring to holographic ashtrays such as those in "Our Man Bashir", "His Way", and "The Cloud".

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I scare people?

Actually, we have to realize that Kate Mulgrew is a smoker, and smoking affects a person's physical constitution (and voice as well). Since the canon physical constitution of Captain Janeway is that of Kate Mulgrew, it must follow that if we were to use a special camera or voice analyzer to examine Captain Janeway, what we would determine is that she is a secret smoker in the Star Trek canon.

Boris (walks away fully aware of his brilliant logic)

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*decides to let this thread live, just for the hell of it* Not like there's anything better to discuss, eh? :-)

------------------
"Maybe they're trying to breed them..."
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Kate Mulgrew, quit smoking a few years ago, and I say all the more to her. I think that her voice has improved even in the short time, since she has stopped smoking.

Andrew

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheh =)

Depends Tach, is the orb of Braga involved?

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Field Marshal Military Project
http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

Tachy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
na, it's not.it would certainly not work otherwise

------------------
The SCIFI-ART.COM website:
http://www.scifi-art.com

IP: Logged
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kate Mulgrew used to smoke?? Well, that explains why her voice was annoying for the first two seasons of Star Trek: Voyager. And this brings out something that I saw in an episode in Star Trek: TNG, remember the episode "Time's Arrow?" Troi and Mark Twain were talking about giving up cigars for utopia on Earth?

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps