Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Defiant is a flying toilet (More Boredom) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Defiant is a flying toilet (More Boredom)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, you heard me, the Defiant is nothing but a flying toilet! No, I'm serious, this is good for a laugh.

On the blueprints for the Defiant in the DS9TM, they show crew quarters and head/showers. Seems all find and dandy, but check out all the Head/Showers on Deck 2! There are 15 seperate bathrooms on Deck the Defiant. Why would you need so many bathrooms for a ship that only has a crew of 40? I mean, do they expact mass diahrea from the crew or what?

Now, you may think, with 40 people onboard, that might seem reasonable to have that many bathrooms, but remember, not everyone is awake at the same time. 1/3rd of the crew is usually asleep at any given time (I'm suggesting there are 3 shifts). So, that means, about 27 people are actually up and working at any time during the day. And most shifts last 8 hours or so (1/3rd of the day). How many times a day do you expect someone to need to use the bathroom? I doubt if at any time during the day all 15 bathrooms are filled.

And, when one shift is waking up, people usually aren't taking all of their showers at the same time. Most of the time, people will use the shower that someone else just used, so, again, you need less bathrooms.

Of course, there is also the possibility of carrying more people in an emergency...

But, don't you think you should rip out a few of those bathrooms? Or maybe even stick some bathrooms in the crew quarters?

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those bathrooms are really the crew quarters....

------------------
USS Infinity
NCC-157240
First Transwarp Ship of the Fleet
Epsilon Omega Shipyards

"It's like I said, the more things change, the more they stay the same."-Unknown Vulcan Philosopher

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go. . . 8)
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha, in those DS9TM blueprints the Defiant bridge is 22m long (assuming the ship is 560ft long)

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Injured man rescued by Def: Can I lay down for a while?
Worf: No, but you may have a seat in one of our top-of-the-notch crappers! And listen, I made it play the klingon "merchant in venice" just for you!!
Inj. M: Nooooooooooooooooo! Me heart! "thud".

------------------
This Windows ninety-fi-i-ive,
it's sucking up my dri-i-ive,
when my pc,
is obsolete,
I have to buy myself a brand-new-machiiine.

(That Weird guy)

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I half-expected Tachy to have a hand in a Topic name like that.

Nimrod: where did you get your sig from?

------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the toilets on the 170m Defiant are for 2m butts?

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't got much knowledge in ship architecture and such, so I say bigger is better!

G.A: Why, it's "Weird" Al Yankovic of course. It is the chorus from "Start Me Up". You know, with the Stones.
Doesn't make much sense to read it if you can't hear the music in your head, I guess.

Did someone say the "Defiant Bridge" stage is being dismantled? Why?

------------------
This Windows ninety-fi-i-ive,
it's sucking up my dri-i-ive,
when my pc,
is obsolete,
I have to buy myself a brand-new-machiiine.

(That Weird guy)

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As show's done, they dismantled all the sets, sadly enough.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope someone kept all the blueprints stored safely...

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure they keep all of the set blueprints since there is a chance that we may see another Defiant Class starship. Anyway, maybe it was an inside joke the authors or the people who create the pictures for the manual to place so many toilets there. But then again, the starship section of the DS9 manual was a joke so...

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see anyone laughing?

------------------
"The next time the workplace seems especially hectic, remind yourself it could be worse: you could have two-dozen sharp-toothed creatures chewing on your nipples." - James Lileks

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it was a swipe at the Ent-D only having one toilet on the engineering chart...

Actually, a 40-ship crew on a three shift rotation makes no sense. Are you saying that this ship runs with around 13 people on duty? We usually see at least 7 on the bridge. Maybe 5 in engineering. So that's only one guy left for sensors, weapons, medical, security, bring the coffee to the bridge, and all that jazz?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, with 3 shifts, you have 1/3rd asleep, 1/3rd working, and 1/3rd doing recreation. There are around 7 officers on the bridge usually...of course, this is during battle when we see the bridge. It's more then likely they have some of that 1/3rd who would regularly being doing recreation on duty or something. With the ship just roaming around, nothing going on, then you usually will just need a commanding officer, helm officer, and another officer to do whatever else needs to be done on the bridge. You also could have 2 or 3 officers in the bridge, and the rest working elsewhere (cargo bays, transporters, etc.)

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Nimrod! I could just see Worf saying 'crappers' in his gruff Klingon voice.

The BREEN do NOT go to the toilet, they HAVE no honour!

heh heh

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps