Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Attack Pattern Omicron? Have to look that one up. . ." ($) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Attack Pattern Omicron? Have to look that one up. . ." ($)
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet Tactics

It's gotten so we don't notice them anymore, but lines of dialogue during battles are peppered with orders for specific manoeuvres. Usually that's all we get to see - the Bridge rocks around a bit, Worf barks "shields down to 54%!" and that's it. Bit of a rip-off, really.

But occasionally we do get to see a bit of what's really happening, and I started wondering whether it was possible to catalogue the identifiable formations and turns a ship might make. This is what I have so far. . .

These tactics have been rendered in the form of little aniGIFs. Pass�, I know, but I had fun with them. I hope you enjoy them too. . . 8)

Attack Pattern Beta 4-7 (from "MiaB")

Three sections of the Prometheus surround a Nebula and fire at points round the hull until the shields collapse.

Attack Pattern Alpha (from "MiaB")

Three sections of the Prometheus move into formation to attack a Warbird, volleying it with shots. Note that the coup de grace is delivered by a Defiant-class ship that joins the formation and fires - with a forward-mounted phaser beam. . .

Evasive Manoeuvres Pattern Theta (from "TotP")

The Defiant, under fire, does a complicated jink to avoid it. . . note that in fact it ends up almost where it was, and gets hit anyway!

Attack Pattern Delta (from "TCFoE")

Coming into the Chin'Toka system, Sisko orders shields be reinforced, then asks for Delta and fires Quantum Torpedoes. The ship then goes into a climb before firing into the belly of a Breen warship. . . note that this may not be Delta, and that I've used a Karemman vessel in the absence of a usable Breen pic!

Evasive Manouevres Pattern Delta (from "WYLB")

In pursuit of a Breen vessel, the Defiant gets two Jem'Hadar bugs on its tail. Sisko orders Delta, the ship does a loop (seen from the Defiant's POV, a great shot) which brings them down behind the JH, destroying one. The Breen escapes. . .

Others: Pattern Omega is mentioned in "SofA," but isn't really identifiable. . .

Of course, tactics used for the Prometheus in multi-vector mode may not be the same as those for a single ship such as the Defiant, which given the nature of its armament may have some pretty specific manoeuvres itself. . . Thoughts? Any more?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Shattered Mirror" Sisko orders something to the tune of "Evasive Manoevres: Pattern Alpha". The Defiant shakes left and right, enabling it to go behind a Klingon BoP and finish it with a few shots.......

I think it is pattern Alpha. Whatever it is, Mirror O'Brien never knew what it was about.......

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Pattern alpha? What's that?"

"Rock her. Port to starboard -- hard."

Doesn't work, so: "Hard to port."

Very nice job, Lee.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited September 20, 1999).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice diagrams!

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Those are like, way cool man! You need to save those and put them up somewhere. Maybe add a tactics section to your site.

Anyway, I'd imagine, as someone said, that some patterns are ship specific. I can imagine the manual..."So You Want To Pilot A Defiant".

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might even be mission or Captain specific - who knows?

Oh yeah, excellent job on the animations They must have taken time to prepare.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great graphics. You *must* create a tactics section, otherwise I will do it

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time taken? Not that much, really, once you have all the elements in place it's just a matter of moving things a bit at a time. AniGIFs are cheesy, yes, but I thought they'd get the idea over nicely. I considered adding other little touches, like shields on the Nebula, for instance, but decided it would be overkill.

So, if anyone does watch some episode of any of the shows, and notices a certain manoeuvre, let me know! I'll have a crack at Evasive Manoeuvre Alpha tonight, thanks Tahna and Elim! I don't suppose you see how much the ship rocks from side to side?

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, of course you don't. You just see Smiley's "Oh, beajasus" face. And then the Defiant undergoes some weird jinking and ends up behind+above the BoP. Never figured that bit out.

Pattern Sierra was mentioned somewhere, I'm sure of it. It might even have been on Voyager.

YES!! Someone else noticed that the Defiant in MiaB uses a forward-firing beam to wax the Warbird, much like the deflector-emitter in "Starship Down"!
My sanity has been restored. For that, Lee, I thanketh thee.

Oh, loved the animations too.

[Edited bit] Hang on, are you sure it was "Evasive maneuveurs; pattern alpha" that Sisko ordered Smiley?
I'm thinking it was "Pattern Delta" that he ordered.
------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited September 21, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember it being Delta, as well.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sierra patteren was a grouping of torpedo's in a TNG episode. "Yesterdays Enterprise" perhaps.

Very nice First. I'm going to have to come in here more often.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well for the jinking...
Modern pilots use an 'S' maneuver where they jink side to side which slows the plane down rapidly which forces their adversary to overshoot, so they can get behind them.

My two cents

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Caretaker": Janeway says, "Fire phasers; evasive pattern Delta-four." Then the ship rolls slightly, but barely moves as they fire on a little Kazon raider.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one you forgot: The Picard Maneuver! :-)

Did they ever use the idea of slowing down and letting your pursuer overshoot you, then shooting them from behind? If so, did they give it a name?

------------------
"Maybe they're trying to breed them..."
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Tom did that in his shuttle against the Kazon fighter in "Basics II" but it wasn't given a name.

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps