Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Changing Warp speed

Author Topic: Changing Warp speed
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you change your warp speed??
By changing the shape of the warp bubble. Or by changing the energy put into the bubble. Or something else???

Please NO Voyager variable 'wings' debate here!!!!!
I want to know how it works on 'fixed nacelled' ships.

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably both, actually. Remember that warp fields can have a variable calibration of millicochranes or whatever. . .

------------------
"The next time the workplace seems especially hectic, remind yourself it could be worse: you could have two-dozen sharp-toothed creatures chewing on your nipples." - James Lileks

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This discussion will probably warp to the starship & technology forum, but anyway:

The depiction of the warp field in the TNGTM suggests it is static, but actually it has a certain frequency due to the ignition sequence of the coils. The subspace distortion in cochranes eventually determines the warp speed (note that v/c is always equal to the cochrane value).

1. The subspace distortion gets stronger as the power output is increased.

2. The subspace distortion gets stronger, as a cretain threshold is exceeded, given by the nature of subspace and the principle of warp drive to create nested layers of the field. To generate more layers at a time, it is obvious that the frequency has to be increased.

Don't ask me about the nature of these layers, they don't exactly fit into the theory of just creating a field or wave, maybe it is an effect of field overlay (i.e. modulation).

------------------
"Invaders from the fifth dimension!" - or: the canon proof that subspace is the same as hyperspace
Ex Astris Scientia

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: Uh-huh...... that's where it belongs........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, your right, it does belong here.
Sorry about that.

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps