Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stubbed ub noz? Can't Breed?

Author Topic: Stubbed ub noz? Can't Breed?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Before anyone gets medieval on me for posting such a topic on this forum, may I remind you that I'm talking about Medical Technology......*

Well, you would think that in the 24th Century, advanced medical science would have taken care of everything from Headaches to the Common Cold. Unfortunately for us, however, it appears that a majority of these medical problems will be with us for a very long time. Not because of the astounding number of recorded diseases and illnesses, but the bacteria and viruses that cause some of these diseases become more resistant to common antibiotics and vaccines......

Think about it...... Today in North American Hospitals, hospitals are fighting a losing war against the increasing numbers of drug-resistant bacteria and viruses. Diseases long thought to be dormant are beginning to rise again (ie. tuberculosis, influenza, polio, common bacteria). And existing diseases have developed ways to circumvent these so-called weapons that we use to defend the human race, drug-resistant tuberculosis one of the more recent examples. Has the common cold been eliminated yet? Nope. Can we hope to have it eliminated in the 24th Century? I really don't think so.......

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps not.

Then again, I read every so often, usually in Ripley's Believe It or Not, about people who live to a ripe old age without ever having had a cold. Perhaps they're resistant?

And with the Human Genome Project 1/4 completed, perhaps sometime soon we'll find a gene which helps us resist the common cold, and learn how to tweak it.

And then there's the coming Age of Nanomachines, tiny 'bots that could be injected inside a human body, and used for everything from suture repair to cleaning out clogged arteries, to... a substitute immune system?

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited September 23, 1999).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but what if your "supplemental" T-cells decide your spleen is a deadly enemy?

--Baloo

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming that nanotechnology lives up to even half of the predictions made about it, it's very likely that we won't even be homo sapiens anymore after its introduction on a wide scale. Should prove to be interesting times.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctor: "Alright, Mr. Jones, just let me inject the nanos into your bloodstream, and you'll be good-as-new..."

Mr. Jones: "We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

Doctor: "Oh, hell, not again..."

------------------
"I've colorized the moon."
-Ted Turner, The Family Guy

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. Just what I was thinking TSN.

------------------
"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."
Federation Starship Datalink - Yet another site based on the popularity of starships.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, with Sol, any change from Homo sapiens is for the better. . . 8)

------------------
"The next time the workplace seems especially hectic, remind yourself it could be worse: you could have two-dozen sharp-toothed creatures chewing on your nipples." - James Lileks

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The First One: Do you mean from or to?

--Baloo

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Tahna if Starfleet medical tech is so advanced why don't they have a cure for baldness, *runs away in fear*.

No seriously if they can't take care of minor genetic stuff, they why would they be able to cure major genetic problems.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos and a d*mn lucky b*st*rd:-) )

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few points.

1.) Ape shall not kill ape!

2.) Why exactly does baldness require a "cure"? From most of the female Trek fans I know, Picard is rather appealing as is.

3.) The Federation as a whole, and Earth in particular, is extremely wary of genetic engineering.

4.) Why does not wanting to use genetic engineering to "fix" minor cosmetic flaws translate into not using it to cure life-threatening disease?

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that wwas the official answer. Someone once asked GR about it, saying that baldness would have been cured by the 24th century. GR said that it's not that mankind couldn't cure it, it's that it would see no reason too. It wouldn't be important.

I thought that there were something like 78 strains of what we call a cold. And you can only catch each of them once.

And I thought that TB wasn't coming back because of it's immune to antibiotics, as that's not how we combat TB. It's coming back because less people are being immunised, dueto tabloid fear stories and complacency.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that the various cold viruses (viri?) were constantly mutating, thus making it possible for you to give someone your cold, then for them to give it right back to you, because it wouldn't be the sem virus anymore. This would make more than 78...

------------------
"I've colorized the moon."
-Ted Turner, The Family Guy

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps