Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An interesting variation on the solar sail...

Author Topic: An interesting variation on the solar sail...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I present [fanfare, please!] the solar BALOON?!?

No kidding. Go look and comment.

--Baloo

------------------
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
--George Carlin
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd. Very odd idea. And I'm not sure �f it works at all.

------------------
"Take it from me: it's a lot more fun asking questions than answering them." (Garak)

USS Allegiance NCC-74813
http://davok.cjb.net

JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, very weird. I can't see this working at all. What's connecting the ship to the 'magnetic cloud' which I'm sure would rapidly disperse anyhow.
IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same thing that connects Earth to IT'S magnetic field.

I think this had promise. Who clicked on the link to the paper on it?

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NASA has recently funded the building of a prototype, which should be completed by 2001.

Can you say 'Proxmire?'

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee: Uhh?

I wonder what episode of a certain science-fiction show Winglee watched the night before.

Seriously though, I'd love to see this get as far as a prototype stage. But how in the hell are they going to create a magnetic field of this size? They would have to be some seriously chaged-up atoms to generate a field of this size.

------------------
"So, no room for Bender, huh? Well I'll build my own lunar lander, with blackjack, and hookers.
In fact, who needs a lander, or blackjack?
Ah, screw the whole lot o' ya!"
-- Bender, Futurama.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There must be some way to do it, easy enough to get money from NASA to build a prototype. I thought Baloo had found a funny till I read the paper. Hope it works!!

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps