Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Promehteus Impulse Engines (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Promehteus Impulse Engines
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering...
In Message in a Bottle, the Prometheus's impulse engines glow blue while in warp, and red while under impulse power. Isn't that the only ship we've seen that does this. I know that one (or more) of the Ambassador variant's have blue impluse engines, but when most of them are in warp, they just turn off, but the Prometheus doesn't. Why do you think this is?

------------------
Photon torpedoes, once a finite supply, haven't been a problem since all those Wal-Marts opened up in the Delta Quadrant. -Jim Wright

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw crap, I spelled Prometheus wrong...
Oh Well...

------------------
Photon torpedoes, once a finite supply, haven't been a problem since all those Wal-Marts opened up in the Delta Quadrant. -Jim Wright

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and that's why we have an edit feature so when you make a tyypo you can correct it.

------------------
"This is where the adventure is. This is where heroes are made." - Dr. Bashir
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's talking about the subject, actually.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't find any good quotations." - Frank G

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, according to the fact Files the impulse engines are warp engines anyway...

The treknological explanation: Maybe for some reason, during warp flight warp plasma is routed through the impulse engines. We know that the impulse engines have subspace coils. Could they support the warp field?

Have we seen the engines at impulse speed? Maybe they always employ blue plasma.

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are red when they destroy the Warbird.

------------------
Presenting the NX-59650. It can slice! It can dice! It can seperate into THREE parts!!
Now available with THREE FULL warpcores!
But wait! Buy now, and get a free number upgrade to NX-74913!

To order, call: 0800-PROMETHEUS

Black Knight
Member # 134

Blue Impulse http://kcohn.simplenet.com/alidarjarok/voyager/messageinabottle/MIAB12b.jpg

Red Impulse http://kcohn.simplenet.com/alidarjarok/voyager/messageinabottle/MIAB47b.jpg

Of course, then there is this pic that shows it with blue out of warp... http://kcohn.simplenet.com/alidarjarok/voyager/messageinabottle/MIAB44b.jpg
Even more controversy!
Maybe, it is only red while separated.

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is true, then maybe the combined ship is using the impulse engines of the other sections.

------------------
Presenting the NX-59650. It can slice! It can dice! It can seperate into THREE parts!!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you can't edit the subject. At least, easily.

Perhaps the impulse engines are like mood rings?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case we could assume that the impulse engines provide a subspace field to support or balance out the warp field in combined mode, while it is not necessary or not regarded useful while in separated mode. Blue plasma means warp plasma and warp plasma means warp field. At least, this is what the authors always want us to believe, that it only depends on the kind of energy what can be done with it.

Another question: where are the impulse engines of the lowermost section?

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: You'll be able to tell this if you have the ST: Magazine with the Prometheus designs, but if you don't, tell me and I'll scan it in for you. Anyway, beside the large impulse engines on the outside of the saucer section there is another set of engines, apparently, that don't have any color. However, it appears that the top-most section uses the impulse engine 'chambers' that are blue/red, the middle section uses the top portion of the other engines, and the lower-most section uses the bottom half of the other engines.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5748, are you talking about those vents/slits on the back of the saucer that are closer to the spine than the chambers? It occured to me that they were the impulse engines but it seems strange that they don't emit any colour/radiation.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

The Nebula class doesn't have glowing impulse engines either.

Go HERE for all the views of the Prometheus class sections.

------------------

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was talking about the vents! I was hoping my post was understandable. As for why the don't glow, beats me. Maybe in joined configuration, only the impulse chambers are used, and the vents only glow during separated flight mode when they are activated. Maybe.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I actually gave that same answer at SciFi-Art.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps