Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Equinox Dedication Plaque (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Equinox Dedication Plaque
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had asked Mike Okuda about the contents of the Equinox dedication plaque, a couple of weeks ago, and while he couldn't get back to me right then, he promised he would, and he did!

----
I think this is the final text:

U.S.S. Equinox
Starfleet registry NCC-72381
Noble class starship
Launched stardate 47007.1
Utopia Planitia
Sol Sector

----

What I don't know is the exact meaning of "I think". This seems to me like a draft somebody would submit to a worker - I really do hope that the name Noble was changed in the final version....uuhhh.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noble?! Hmm. In some ways I'd almost prefer it to Nova. . .
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's all fine and dandy, except when you remember that Janeway distinctly said Nova. However cool Noble class is, it's not canon.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if it IS on the plaque, then Starfleet's famous carelessness becomes canon Or maybe it's just an expression of vanity by the Equinox crew...

What a noble class the Equinox is....

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but if we were to go with dedication plaques, then the Prometheus would be NX-74913, or something or other.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another example of the lack of communication between the departments within Star Trek: Voyager. If Janeway had said Noble Class instead of Nova Class, then we would be expecting the replacement for the Galaxy Class starships to be Nova Class. I guess then we can always have the Galaxy replacement called Noble Class...

------------------
"Women feel the emotions of happiness, hatred, anger, helplessness, and desire.

Men on the other hand feel the guy version, Horny."

-Michael_T

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder. . . 'noble' is related to 'sovereign,' amd the Nova/Noble does look like the Sovereign. But for now we'll have to stick to Nova.
Jim Phelps
Member # 102

In any case, the name Was on the plaque. I asked Mike Okuda about that yesterday, and while he conformed that this was a draft of the plaque, he didn't deny that the name ended up being Noble. He said that both names were specifically requested by the producers, and that he couldn't confirm the change soon enough in order to modify the plaque.

Boris

------------------

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Ultra Magnus. Irregardless of what was on the plaque, it is Nova-class. That's obviously what the writers finally intended the Equinox to be, since that's what Janeway said. Somethings should just be placed under the column of trivial information and isn't-it-interesting-to-know. This is one of those things. Not everything has to become this huge debate about what is and what is not canon.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Member # 239

Yeah, it's kind of along the lines as production sketches. It's cool to see what the original direction was for the Defiant, but those drawings, or the damn Valiant class name have no bearing on the actual ship shown on screen.

------------------

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

The analogy is not exact, because the name Noble is actually on the plaque, whereas the Valiant classification was never used, not even in a bridge graphic to my knowledge.

Boris

------------------

Member # 239

Boris: I know, but it was the closest thing I could think of at the moment. It's actually more like the NX-74205 on the Sao Paulo / Defiant , as that was seen on screen, but we, with better judgement, know that it can't be. [Actually, now that I think about it, that isn't a good analogy either.] Well, screw it, Janeway said Nova, we weren't able to read the damn plaque and it may have been misread by Okuda, so I'm going with Nova.

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two Prometheus regos issue is a good analogy

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Member # 239

In any case, what's on screen takes precedence anyway.

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM: Yes, it does. But both Prometheus registreis were seen onscreen...

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page

I am Canadian

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps