Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp and tractor beams

Author Topic: Warp and tractor beams
Striker
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but its good to find some people who share my interests in Star Trek.
Anyway, just a quick question to settle a bet...can a starship operate its Tractor beam at warp speeds?

thanks

------------------

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say the answer is yes, provided one can match the speeds at least roughly.

We have seen a tractor beam used at warp in DS9 "Paradise", where it was sufficient to pull a maverick runabout out of warp altogether. We also hear of ships or other objects being towed across great distances by starships, and even though we do not actually see this happening, it's more or less sure that this takes place at warp.

We know little of the technology required. It's quite likely that the towing ship has to extend her warp field around the object being towed, so towing a hostile ship is probably not a good idea...

Timo Saloniemi

( I'm a newbie here, too. Welcome to the club! )

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited November 05, 1999).]

TerraZ
Ex-Member

I'm not sure exactly, but in the episode where Sisko and his crew manage to capture a crashed Jem'Hadar fighter, we see at the end being towed by the Defiant with a tractor beam at warp.

------------------
Continuity is irrelevant.
Established lore will be adapted to fit our purpose.
From now on, the writers will service our financial interests.
Protests are futile!
*Borg Collective after assimilating TPTB*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Not from Trek, try to guess where it's from.*

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, when Picard - under the influence of Bok's mind device was going to try the Picard Maneuvre on the E-D - as soon as the Stargazer jumped to warp - Data locked the tractor beam on it stopping the ship dead in its tracks.

Andrew

------------------
"Remove your hand or I will remove your arm!" - 7 of 9

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems very reasonable that a ship can be towed at warp. They probably extend the warp field around both ships and the tractor beam keeps the disabled one in place.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember the episode "Emissary?" The TNG episode, not DS9. The Enterprise-D used the tractor beam to hold the Class IX probe while in warp.

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It must be possible. I can imagine various occasions where it is absolutely necessary to tow ships at warp. Starfleet can't afford to self-destruct every ship once the warp core is dropped or the warp drive is damaged and cannot be fixed in space.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Gray
Ex-Member

Yes, they've used warp & tractor beams together many many times, but I also recall an episode of TNG where somebody says "If we go to warp while we're in thier tractor beam, it would tear the ship apart." or something to that matter. Of course, I only have a vague recollection of it.

------------------
-Gray
-Chief Executive of GRAYsoft Productions
-Network Administrator of aXiS IRC
- [email protected]

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what they meant by that, is pulling a non-warp capable ship into warp would destroy the other ship because it is not designed for that fast of travel. There's been instances were one starship pulls another starship (both warp cabable) into Warp without problems and without the one [being pulled] having Warp systems online.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation UplinkAxisIRC
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you're thinking of a DS9 ep, Gray. The one where that killer ends up in Bashier's body. The tractor beam was mounted on the station, so there would be differing stresses on different parts of the ship if they went to warp.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps