Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Kai Winn

Author Topic: USS Kai Winn
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I recently saw the episode "Whispers". This version on tv was clear and I was able to make out the name USS Kai Winn on the screen. (I am still unable to make out the starship beneath the USS Kai Winn line.) Now my list for the screen includes the following ships-

LTA Elmira
SS Oregon
USGS Powell
USS Aries
USS Galice
USS Hispaniola
USS Kai Winn
USS Yorktown
USS Yosemite
WEB DuBois

I believe the above are all Federation ships. Elmira is the name of a city in New York. And the USGS Powell may be a civilian ship owned by the United States-USGS United States Geological Ship. And the WEB DuBois may be the only instance where a black American is honored in Star Trek by having a ship named after him.
A note
It seems that with video technology that as more copies of a program are made, there is a steady decline in clarity and accuracy in the image. Some years ago, I saw a repeat of "Conspiracy". In the scene where Date was reviewing the data files, the first few lines were readable. They contained ship data-ship names and registries. With DVD, these may become available to the viewer and we may add new ships.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kai Winn?! I don't think so somehow. . .
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, now what are LTA and WEB supposed to stand for (In The Trek Universe, that is...I already know WEB)

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS KAI WINN? When I read the thread title I was hoping you posted this thread in the wrong forum (instead of design & artwork), but you really did see it? Well, I'm usually trusting you but Kai Winn seems as unlikely a name as USS Saddam Hussein. BTW, isn't Whispers a third season episode when Winn has just been elected Kai? This makes the name even more unlikely. Not that it wasn't on screen, but Okuda or whoever created it obviously had a bad day.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. And if there'd been an earlier Kai called Winn, you'd have been sure this Winn would have known about it and mentioned it. And why would a Starfleet ship be named after a religious figure on a planet they've only recently been involved with?

But if it is really does say that, then it's a REALLY crap in-joke and should probably be ignored.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, the Kai Winn might be named the famous Finnish starship captain who saved the universe twice back in '56. Kai Winn is a perfectly valid Finnish male name, Kai being the given name and Winn the surname.

Now for the 10 point question: guess my nationality

Timo Saloniemi

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Whispers" (a second season episode) takes place before "The Collaborator", when she's elected Kai after forcing Bareil out.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it helps, here is an illegible image.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We've got some new songs here that are not even on the MP3 thing. They're not available in any format, except of course the bootlegs that seem to proliferate all through our audience, as we watch people lip-synch along to songs that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED! DAMN YOU!" - John Linnell

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Sounds Swedish.

Elim: What a weird in-joke to name the ship before she is actually elected.

Colin: By any means, could it be something different?

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

The First One
Member # 35

No, I was the one who says it's an in-joke. As in okuda saying "ooh, I hear later on in the season that Louise Fletcher's character is going to become the Bajoran pope, let's put it in an Okudagram to mess with those Trekkies' heads."
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I thought Elim first mentioned that the episode predates the Kai election. However, credits to Lee too

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps