Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » That pesky little captain's yacht.

Author Topic: That pesky little captain's yacht.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a thread about this earlier, but I wasn't able to find it.

Having just recently purchased Insurrection, I was able to confirm that that the yacht is indeed missing from its comfy little berth. Why? Three possibilities.

1.) The yacht was totally destroyed by the Son'a.

2.) The yacht was in one of the shuttlebays for some reason. Either it was being repaired, or it was damaged beyond repair. (Even in the second case, the crew would be obliged to remove such offending technology from the Bak'u world.)

3.) Since the Enterprise couldn't really leave the system anyway, the yacht was left on the surface, there to be picked up when Starfleet sent somebody around to clean up the whole mess and tow the Enterprise to the nearest starbase. (Or replace the warp core.)

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

bonecrusher
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I think that it was destroyed, burnt up in the Baku atmosphere probably because it was disabled heading toward the planet.

------------------
"I Got two words for you.. S*uck it!"-DeGeneration X
Oh Hell Ya there back!

Bonecrusher
http://members.xoom.com/smartiee

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it was probably destroyed. The new encyclopedia says it was (although that needs to be taken with a grain of salt). Also mentioned in the previous thread, it may be too big for the Ent E shuttle bays.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shuttlebays on the Ent-E are wide enough and tall enough to let the yacht through.

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reject that postulation.

Data was IN IT when it was driven off by the Son'a fire at the finale. There is no reason to believe anything other than that it landed on the planet and was later recovered and popped in the shuttlebay for a shine up and wax.

What's with this thirst for destruction?

------------------
"You will be swept away....
You, your men, your ship, your WORLDS!"

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Motgomery.

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also agree that it was not destroyed. It is not very likely that it has a transporter onboard so data could not have beamed off to save himself.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Actually, I'd be a little surprised if it didn't have a transporter onboard. Runabouts have them. The E-E's big shuttle had 'em. Even type seven shuttles have them. So why not the new and improved captain's yacht?

Which isn't to say that I think the ship was destroyed.

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited November 15, 1999).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since my copy of Insurrection won't be subjected to cruel stop-motion punishment for another month at least (and most likely it'll arrive for Christmas at the earliest), I'm not sure about this one...

But didn't Picard control the transporting of supplies to the Yacht from aboard the Yacht? Was he just using the ship's transporters on remote control, or did he use the Yacht's own transporters? I know Riker says the crew noticed the use of transporters, but that might just mean they noticed somebody was using the *Yacht's* transporters.

Note that even if the Yacht for some reason was transporter-less, it is big enough to have carried an escape pod or two! And even lacking those, Data could probably have bailed out and used his previously unseen "in emergencies, I'm designed to be used as a parachute" capability..

And Michael: I think the E-E would have been perfectly capable of leaving the Birar Patch, warp core or no warp core. She had enough energy left for returning to the planet, engaging in combat maneuvers and firing phasers after the core ejection. And warp speed was out of the question in any case, thanks to the Briar Patch.

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ent-E could certainly leave the Patch but it would have taken a long time to get to a Starbase without warp. They probably met another ship outside the Patch to get/install a fresh warp core.

We can only guess what happened to the yacht. It was either destroyed (burnt up in the atmosphere) or put in a shuttlebay for repairs. They definately wouldn't have left it behind.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The yacht, a ship of 35 or so meters, almost definitely has a transporter. The only way that Data couldn't beam out is that the transporter could have been disabled in the attack. But then, the yacht could have been destroyed as well. But then, any evidence that this actually happened is missing.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps